Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I've been browsing this forum for a couple of days because I got a bike itch. I've been looking for another "vehicle" as a commuter for college and work which are about 35 miles away. I been looking at various cars (mostly import tuner cars since i like to tune ;).) I am looking to get a beginner's bike and have been primarily interested in a 250R to get my feet wet. Now mind you I have never ridden a motorcycle before. I am looking for an older 250R primarily because I assume it'd be cheaper - but I don't want one that doesn't look "sporty".

I guess what I'd like to know is where is a good place online to search for a 250R local to me (oklahoma area) since I can't ride the bike yet?

I'm sure you all would recommend some type of riding classes, but is it absolutely necessary? I mean, could I train myself? (I taught myself how to drive standard all by myself in one day with no assitance if that means anything.)

Are there generations of the 250R like from 91-94 then 95-98 etc? and where can I find pictures of different years. I've tried googling it. And about what can I expect to pay for and a good used 250R?

I'll reiterate again that I am a complete newb to motorcycles - so please don't flame me. And thanks for the help you provide.

- Jeremy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeremy... I doubt anyone would ever flame anyone on this board. I'm also new on here, although not new to bikes. I been riding for over 25 years. I learned to ride on a dirt bike which made the transition to street fairly easy. There are local training classes. Check with you local Police station. I know ours offers classes as well as some dealers know where classes are offered too. A 250 sounds like a great starter.
As for finding a bike...check your local Cycle Trader, newspaper, or even eBay. There seems to be a ton of bikes in the midwest online... I'm also in the market for one currently. I found one in Boise ID. Just don't know if I want to ride it back to Phoenix. Shipping is way too much. Good luck with the search and let the good times roll... :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome jeremy :wink:

most everybody here will say take the class and it really is worth it :wink:
yes you can train yourself to ride but the school will put things in front of you
that you prolly would'nt think of (finer points of riding and such)

:wink:

ride safe!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good luck, Jeremy. As has been stated before me, best recommendations are eBay, and to take the MSF class ASAP. MSF class will make you a better, safer, more comfortable rider. And it should knock off some $ from your insurance premium.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
SpeedRival said:
Hi all - I've been browsing this forum for a couple of days because I got a bike itch. I've been looking for another "vehicle" as a commuter for college and work which are about 35 miles away. I been looking at various cars (mostly import tuner cars since i like to tune ;).) I am looking to get a beginner's bike and have been primarily interested in a 250R to get my feet wet. Now mind you I have never ridden a motorcycle before. I am looking for an older 250R primarily because I assume it'd be cheaper - but I don't want one that doesn't look "sporty".

I guess what I'd like to know is where is a good place online to search for a 250R local to me (oklahoma area) since I can't ride the bike yet?

I'm sure you all would recommend some type of riding classes, but is it absolutely necessary? I mean, could I train myself? (I taught myself how to drive standard all by myself in one day with no assitance if that means anything.)

Are there generations of the 250R like from 91-94 then 95-98 etc? and where can I find pictures of different years. I've tried googling it. And about what can I expect to pay for and a good used 250R?

I'll reiterate again that I am a complete newb to motorcycles - so please don't flame me. And thanks for the help you provide.

- Jeremy
Ninja 250's 86-87 style and 88-04 pretty much the same with minor differences in the parts.

250's hold their market value pretty well, but to get an idea you can go onto ebay motors and www.cycletrader.com to get some prices for used bikes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Be sure to take the class, though. Shifting and what not isn't what you take it for, but for all kinds of very important defensive driving tactics. The stats don't lie, and people that take safety courses significantly reduce their risk of getting into an accident. Plus you don't have to do a course by your DMV(you can just get your license). :)

Be safe!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Be sure to take the class, though. Shifting and what not isn't what you take it for, but for all kinds of very important defensive driving tactics. The stats don't lie, and people that take safety courses significantly reduce their risk of getting into an accident. Plus you don't have to do a course by your DMV(you can just get your license). :)

Be safe!

·
Registered
380 Posts
SpeedRival said:
A good site to use for your search is http://www.ninja250.com/ they have a classifieds section that has a nationwide user base. Local newspapers and I have heard cycletrader.com is also helpful.

SpeedRival said:
I highly recommend you take as much training as you can afford. I am also a college student that found the 250 makes an excellent commuter as well as a fine learning machine.

SpeedRival said:
The difference in the years was already explained, but I've found pictures of many bikes of varying years at http://www.bikepics.com/ The average going price for a EX250 or 250R (same motorcycle) is $1000-2000 depending on the condition and the mileage.

SpeedRival said:
I don't believe in flaming people simply because they don't understand something as I do. I wish you luck with your search of a motorcycle. I also would highly recommend you purchase full coverage of gear and a new helmet.

Welcome to the site, I hope all this typing helped a bit...

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome aboard, the folks already hit all the topics from finding a bike to taking the course

·
Registered
837 Posts
welcome to the forum..come back often..ride safe when you get a bike :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks for all your responses - extremely helpful. You have got me pointed in the right direction. I will call my local DMV to see about taking a riding course; it's a very nice bonus that you get the license after. =). I'm going to start looking right after this post. $1000-2000 is right in my budget. I'll keep you guys informed and if I have anymore questions I'll just post back.

- Jeremy

·
Registered
456 Posts
SpeedRival said:
I got a bike itch.
Welcome to the club.
SpeedRival said:
I've been looking for another "vehicle" as a commuter . . . I am looking for an older 250R . . .
A motorcycle in general, and a Ninja 250R in particular, makes a great commuter: inexpensive to purchase, insure, feed, and maintain. It's also fun to drive and scores points with the babes. Lot's of people stand right beside mine and ask me if it's a 600. When I tell them no, their next guess is a liter. Why should I bother telling them it's a 250?
SpeedRival said:
. . . where is a good place online to search for a 250R local to me . . .
Try http://www.ebay.com or http://www.cycletrader.com . Also try the online newspapers from Kansas City or Little Rock or Dallas/Fort Worth, or whatever's reasonably close to you. A one-way bus ride is a lot cheaper than shipping a bike.
SpeedRival said:
. . . could I train myself?
Absolutely. Lots of riders do. But you will also teach yourself bad habits. People who take a safety course have a significanly lower risk of crashing than people who teach themselves. That's why insurance companies offer discounts if you take the course.
SpeedRival said:
Like 1Adam12 said, the first two years of the bike are different. I was thinking it was 87-88, but he might be right that it was 86-87. After that the bike is virtually unchanged except for paint colors. A good source for pictures is http://www.bikepics.com but you have to poke around the 250's to find the Ninja 250R's. Expect to pay $1,000 to $2,000 for a 250R in operating to good condition. Pay less for one that's not running or has a salvage title.

Now let's back up the horse. I suggest you take the MSF course BEFORE you look for a bike. I think it's a lot smarter to do it that way. I think the 250R is a great choice, but give yourself some time to learn and decide before you plunk down the cash. After you've had the course and learned to ride, then you can do the one-way bus ride.
Curt

·
Registered
605 Posts
AND...at my MSF class you had the choice between 1/2 "cruisers" 250cc or the ninja 250...so if that's an option for you, you'll get a nice big test ride :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts