Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around for about a week now trying to absorb as much information as I could before I took delivery of my new baby bike. I've had it all of 2 days, put about 50 miles on it, and much to the dismay of my pride, have already had it on the ground once (my driveway bump is a formitable enemy to me at the moment....) I grew up on the back of a goldwing, but this is the first time in my life I've ever ridden my own :shock:

So here is my list of questions thus far!!
1. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand of wax/cleaning products to use on my bike, and probably more importantly, what should I not use?
2. I'm getting a disk lock, so is an ignition lock really neccessary?
3. How far can you go on the reserve tank with this bike?
4. I've read the thread on here about "waving." Yesterday I had some guy give me a couple of beeps instead. Do people normally beep at you instead?

Oh, i'm sure I'll have more.....until next time.....

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
1. Any automotive cleaner/wax will work, but before using any new chemical test it out on a small patch of painted body work to make sure there will be no bad effects
2. I have no disk lock, just the steering lock, but I also have a garage so somebody else can help you on that.
3. 50 miles or so, but once you hit reserve I'd suggest filling up quite quickly.
4. I've had them beep at me, but thats pretty rare, usually its a wave or a nod from the other motorcycles.

And Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
I echo what Freakinout said on all four points. For point 2, I'll add that 250's aren't real hot prospects for thieves. But it's still better safe than sorry.

You have excellent taste in bikes, by the way. If you ever make it to Minnesota, we must go for a ride!
Curt

·
Registered
153 Posts
:D Hi,
Maguire's stuff is great! Where are you in No Cal? The first two months are the steepest learning curve. We should ride toward AZ and meet Ninja girl for a ride, or Alameda to my new house. Take care, ride safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lori03Ninja500R said:
Maguire's stuff is great! Where are you in No Cal? The first two months are the steepest learning curve. We should ride toward AZ and meet Ninja girl for a ride, or Alameda to my new house. Take care, ride safe.
I've heard someone else mention Maguire's. I just don't want to end up being the nitwit who put some "wonder product" on their bike that magically ate and rusted the gas tank (Think tarnex for silver.... :roll: )

I live in Chico. I've seen so many other sport bike rider's out there, but admittedly, I don't know a single one of them. I'm like the lone rider envying those roving packs of hot young men....ahem....I digress....LOL My other vehicle is a goober-mobile, I mean mini-van, :lol: and I'm left pining every time I see a bike go by wishing I was on mine instead of running my family around!!!!

I put another 25 miles on my bike today, so I'm at a grand total of 48.7 Hehehe...and almost put it on the ground today coming out of a parking lot that had a crap load of gravel all over it, but I learned my lesson from my driveway the first day I had the bike, and I kept it up, so the steep learning curve is still going up! Of course, this 500 mile break in period is getting real tough cause the 35 mph speed limit to keep the rpms under 4000 is getting a bit obnoxious, and I've only had the thing 3 days. What's it going to be like in another week? I'll be pulling out my hair!!!!!! LOL

I'd love to do a ride sometime!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i use meguiars and zanio as well :wink:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome aboard!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just get outta cali for awhile, find some back rodes that lead somewhere, then go out and cruise around between 30-40 mph varying the rpms and when you get home you will have put 150 miles on the bike and you'll part of the way there

·
37,387 Posts
[quote="Ninja Chick
I'm like the lone rider envying those roving packs of hot young men....ahem....I digress....LOL

I'd love to do a ride sometime!![/quote]

By some standards, I'm no longer a young man, I don't ride a sport bike, but I'll ride the pack with you. And I won't make fun of your mini-van.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also was wondering the attitude HD drivers have with sportbikes. I would imagine there should be a common plane with all cycles but I guess not...heh

·
37,387 Posts
SKI,

Its been my experience (limited after a 20 year absence from biking) that not all HD'rs are snobs, just some. We have a real uppity group of HD owners here due to the Microsoft gazillionairs down in the city, they all have issue where they don't like anyone if they aint on a HOG.

Not all sport bikers wave at me when I initiate a howdy towards them. Some folks just don't like taking their hands off the bars.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'm a harley owner and i don't give a hoot what you ride as long as you ride

and ninjachick you won't be the lone rider for long once you take your
helmet off :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry, I didnt mean to group all HD riders together. I know quite a few HD riders that are really great. I guess I meant some HD riders, heh. Sorry if anyone took that the wrong way 8)

·
Registered
837 Posts
welcome to the forum ninja chick...gravel is not a bikes best friend...keep a good eye on whats in front of you...ride safe

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Lori03Ninja500R said:
Ok Lori...you put it out there....I think we should have a "chick" ride!!!
:wink:
Lets do it!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
i'm a harley owner and i don't give a hoot what you ride as long as you ride

and ninjachick you won't be the lone rider for long once you take your
helmet off :lol: :wink:
I was riding with two friends last weekend and we passed a group of all Hogs that all waved, there were so many my arm got tired before they were all by me, all waving. I stopped counting at 30.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts