Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new to the whole motorcycle and forum thing, so bear with me. :confused:

Lil' introduction I guess. I'm Sgt Sleepy, earned the name from the Army guys I was stationed with. I'm currently serving in the USAF as a MP, 9 years now and protecting this country one forum post at a time.
I have a lil' extra time off so I decided to buy a bike, 1978 KZ650 ($500).

The bike was whole and operational. Nice paint job, tires were shot, blows smoke like crazy, starter was FUBAR! One kick and it runs. I did the intial checks oil (black as molases), plugs (black), tire pressure (low and bald) and fuel (fresh 91 octane). Made some adjustments and off I rode. About three nice long rides into my new life experience, engine stalls out and I pull over check oil and it's gone. Nice....... Fuel gushing from carb barrel 2. Good thing it happened just a few blocks from the house.

So... A friend from the F16 maintence came over and we started tearing the bike down. Engine is out. Few broken bolts, lil easy out and some PB lubricatant should help. Wiring harness is a spliced up nightmare, new main one on the way. Tryin to salvage what I can. Carb needs rebuild, adjuster screws are stripped, floats are stickin'. I'm goin to overhaul the entire thing. I don't have a clue where to start but to clean everything and start from scratch. The frame isn't to rusty just a little from when I'm guessing the old battery exploded. Some lite sandin' and a rattle can or two should be looking good. Draw back is like I said before, I'm a military guy, so any advice on where to score some good parts at a cheap price would be much appreciated. My pop told me I can get everything from bikebandit. I have tons of photos, I'm just at work right now.

I'm the new desk officer so I'll be checking in from time to time.

Catch You All Later!

Sleepy

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Welcome Sleepy! Glad to have you join us!

Thanks for your service, it is much appreciated! Not the mechanical type myself but there'll be some good ones to come along shortly. You're definitely at the right place for good info from knowlegable peeps! Check the vintage threads. You might find some good info there!

Pics when ya can & ride safe!! :biggrin: 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.