Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be a silly question, but are the large Kaw V-Twins generally a little noisy? I bought a used one and it runs great. No knocking at all but at idle I hear mechanical sounds from the crankcase. I guess some is normal but how much and when is it too much? I'm used to hearing the buzz of high RPM bikes so now that I have one that idles like a tractor I seem to notice more noise. Just curious. :?

Many Thanks-

·
Registered
487 Posts
there has been alot of debate about the knock from a kawa v-twin but they have been around for a long time and many miles without a lot of problems. Ihave a knock on my meanie along with all my riding partners, but yet they keep on ticking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I seem to hear it more after the engine is warmed up. Can't swear to it but I think so. It sounds like a tapping or clacking noise down low on the right side. Is this the mystery sound?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MOVING/RELOCATION

I don't think that you will know or have a reference till you have taken it in and had a complete tune up done including the lifters and all that. Just changing or moving from one city to another is a change in altitude and now at sea-level you'd have to readjust your carbs, esp if you moved from the high desert or mountains. You could to a compression check, a leak down test, and most of the adjustments yourself if you know how...or you could run it through the dealership and have them put EVERYTHING for the tuneup on paper and you would have it for future reference. Personally I like to do carb sync's, oil,air/filter changes, and all...but...run your question through again, several times if you have to, and someone will jump in...but it's olly fair that you assist and give us feedback in return...I'm already waiting to hear back from you on what you found!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a mechanic look at it. His explanation for the "clunk" was the clutch pack. He said it was common among the V-Twins and it was due to the discs rattling when not under a load. We'll see.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That is one of the explanations which makes since because the plates are free at idle and under acceleration they are together. One of the guys I ride with though has a knock under acceleration which has been explained to him as the counterbalance doing it's job. mine has the same knock but not as noticeable since I have aftermarket exaust (louder pipes) I have owned Kawa's most opf my life along with other brands and have had less problems with the Kawa's than any of them. Therefore I wouldn't worry to much about it unless the noise gets progressively worse. Let us know if you find out anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts