Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got through studding the tires with 11mm car studs. Pretty easy- don't need a die grinder turning 30000rpms if you have a really sharp drill bit- and simple green is even better lubricant than anti-freeze- my old fave.

old Avon compared to new metzler

I will be riding the ol' honda for the rest of the winter, I almost did it to the Z1 instead, since I have several of them, but I decided to do it to the honda.

Stay tuned for possible updates you all may like!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought you were crazy until I noticed the Alaska plate. :lol:

I wouldn't want to be in front or back of you if those things start flying out.

Have a great time! Let us know how it works?

The tire dealer here said to keep the car under 60 mph for the first couple hundred miles to let the studs set. Soooo...think you can keep under 60? :cool:

Mike

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
And I thought I was nuts!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
+3 that's what I was thinking too.

The pic was taken at just the right angle it seems.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Narly dude! LOL :)

Be safe!!!

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Neat. Do you ice race at all??

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neat. Do you ice race at all??
Nope- I do plan on racing at our track- Tannacross. It was in roadracerXs last issue. Little aside about Ben Thompson too- local kid done good thing.

I am just too big to really be a competitive bike racer- I will probably never go below 250 pounds, or much below that- I am at 18% body fat now and 260.

That represents a hell of a wieght penalty on a small bike! :-D

I have raced all my life though- snowmachines, cars, bikes etc.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I thought first pic was a tricked out sporter turned into 3 wheeler.

looks like you don gone an' volunteered as guinea pig.
Please keep us informed as I'm interested in outcome of studded tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny thing is - I have built two trikes from shaft drive bikes so far. Very easy to do. But I wouldn't need one for myself- I pretty much prefer two or four wheels, no half measures here man :lol:

But no ginuea pig am I! Check out these pics from last years riding partners:

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Guess the rest of us ought to quit whining about the winter weather huh?
Great Photos.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it sucks if you have no power and no way to get basic supplies due to road closures- but if you are healthy and make it through okay this time- most folks should take this as a warning that mother nature sometimes throws curveballs and to be better prepared.

Inverters for your vehicle is pretty cheap, and can power your whole house in an emergency. Having a propane back up to your heater or boiler is a good idea.

Just make it where you can be self-contained for a week, it just gives you some breathing room, even if you live in suburbia.

I do, but Alaska is a harsh mistress, and though she is incredibly beautiful and wild, she will slap you down like the angry fist of gawd if you don't prepare!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Guess the rest of us ought to quit whining about the winter weather huh?
No kidding! I actually had to put my jacket on today after I walked to the cage!

Thank God for global warming or we'd all be under 12 feet of ice ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah, going X-country skiing in a minute with my daughter in near zero temps, and craptacular snow/ice- I wish we would get some dang snow!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Funny thing is - I have built two trikes from shaft drive bikes so far. Very easy to do. But I wouldn't need one for myself- I pretty much prefer two or four wheels, no half measures here man :lol:

WOW!!! Nice pics. I really like the first one. Desktop!!
Stay Safe up there (and warm).

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts

I am humbled. That is dedication to the sport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts