Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably sound like a major whiner, but I could care less at this point. I'll be the first to say that I'm beyond upset and frustrated.
I got this bike (85' Kawi 700 LTD) for Christmas, and it is a good bike, it has been well cared for. I'm just not knowledgeable enough, I guess.

Got a new battery, and trickle charger yesterday, and charged it over night. Put it in today, and she was a spark away from firing up! Turning over great, but no real response. I thought I was probably flooding it, so let her sit. Tried again later, still no start. Checked the plugs (which are brand new) and looked like they were a bit fouled I think, so I cleaned them all up and put them back in. The plug on the far left (from sitting on the seat view) is not going in or coming out well at all. I was really gentle with it, because it looks like someone has mis-threaded it at some point. I don't know if it's all the way in now or not, which is an additional problem. Now she is turning over but not even attempting to fire. I'm so frustrated that I can't see straight, and that's truthfully an understatement.
I'm going to shut-up now before I totally ruin my reputation on here.

Have you ever been in this position? Please don't judge me, I'm just sooooooo ready to get on the road!!! :mad: I'll cool off sooner or later.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Mariah,

Take a Deeeeeeep Breath and post your problems down in the Mechanics Corner...there are several people up here who can give you some answers--- Ispeed and QKEUF4U should be able to help you figure it all out. My husband could also help.

Don't Give Up. My second suggestion is that you purchase a service manual for the bike. This will help you become familiar with the inner workings of the bike. The more you learn about it, the better you will feel about riding. Its not every lady that does some of her own maintenance ;-)

Hang in there!!!!!

Heather

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Chromequeen....does your bike have fuel filters on the fuel lines? Sorry if this was asked before and I missed it? If it does...are they new filters or were they on the bike when you got it?

Have you tried removing one spark plug at a time....inserting the plug into the plug wire and then grounding the plug to the engine to make sure your getting spark? If you have not tried this yet....you might want to do each plug and be sure your getting spark.

Are you certain that gas is getting into the cylinders? If you are certain....then one thing you can try with each spark plug before re-inserting it (and your certain the plugs are getting spark) is to remove the plugs and using a ciggarette lighter or an open flame from a bunson burner....or even a match....heat up each plug and then put them back in and try starting the engine. Remember....you must be certain that your getting both spark and gas into the cylinders.

If your not certain about the fuel getting into the cylinders (plugs aren't showing fuel residue on them) then you can add a little fuel directly into the cylinders using a syringe or something similar to get the fuel into each cylinder. Once you've done that....tighten the plugs and plug the wires onto the plugs and try firing the engine.

If it still will not start....then there may be more serious problems either with the stator or possibly the carbs need cleaning/rebuilding.

Just some things you can try for now. Keep us posted on the results.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
My 84 GPz was doing the same thing until I 1) drained the fuel from the float bowls and let fresh fuel in, and 2) learned the way it liked to be started. Which, in my case, is to put the choke on all the way and hit the starter button. If I try to give it any gas or attempt to start it with out the choke on I have no choice but either let it sit and try again later or change the spark plugs.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
gpzrider....good points....my 1981 Yamaha is a little finicky....not bad....just starts differently than my 1500 does. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey, I think its great that you are taking on the troubleshooting yourself. Ive been in exactly the same place... many times. Ready to go, but the bike isnt. And, I dont know why!

It does boil down to fuel and spark. If you havent drained the old fuel out of the tank ( if its been sitting around) you should do that. Take the plugs out again and clean them. When you put them back, check for spark. I agree with the person who said, you have to know how your bike likes to get started, too. It will take a while to get used to your bike. You will. Make sure you are using Motorcycle oil, though. You may have to take your bike in to make sure the charging system is up and running,( if you dont have a meter and the manual) As Heather said, get yourself a manual. They are cheap, on line, too. Clymers is better than Haynes, Kawasaki is best ( so Ive been told!) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts