Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK… I am looking for some more power from my 900. Installing a new intake, fuel processor, and exhaust is the obvious solution. I have already narrowed the contenders for the intake, and have chosen the PCIII USB for fuel management. The exhaust search has not gone so well :mad: . I am looking for a set of pipes that will help with the increase in HP, but are not so loud. The 900 is my daily transportation, and I need something that I can start at 5:30 AM in the garage to go to work without waking the family and neighbors, and won’t be annoying on long trips.

I have found the Roadburner Road Pro with SLT, but apparently no one has bought a set to give me any feedback on quality, fit, finish, and sound level. I am wary of being the guinypig, but I might end up being just that.

I also saw a post once upon a time where someone wrapped the baffles in a set of Cobra Speedster Longs with fiberglass and stainless wire??? I can’t seem to find the post though. What kind of fiberglass would you use for this? How did it turn out?

What are some other options???

·
Registered
49 Posts
check out the post that you bumped recently that is titled Roadburner Road Pro's w/SLT Exhaust. I did post some information for you as I have the Roadburners on my mean streak.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Talked to Cobra and they keep teasing me that new baffles are in the works for the drag pipes on my 900. But as more and more new bikes keep coming out the R&D department in working on new exhaust for them instead.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Cobra, V&H, and most others are going to bee too loud.
Roadhouse and Muzzy generally rate the lowest in volume AND among the highest in power gains on magazine charts.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I used V&H Quiet Baffles and Ceramic wool (Meanstreak with Samson Slashers):

Thermal Ceramics Kaowool

It should hold up permanently vs. fiberglass.

I wouldn't define this as at all "quiet", but it did tone down the high freq and leave the low/deep rumble. It allows me to exit our neighborhood under low power without too much noise (with careful use of throttle). Before, with straight through pipes, even at idle it would be really loud.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Generally speaking, the longer the pipe and the bigger the diameter of the silencer/muffler the lower the tone.

If the pipes use a removable 'core' type baffle they can generally be wrapped with silencer packing to make them even mellower. There's a lot of folks that will swear to using home insulation as a wrap, but that is extremely foolish. It blows out quickly and can easily catch fire. Seen it happen. The stuff I've had the best luck with is a product called "Silent Sport". It's not a 'wrap' but individual pieces or stands of material. This stuff is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Lasts an extremely long time and absorbs more db's than conventional packing.

Bruce

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Cobra longs will wake up the family. Trust me, ask my wife. I keep telling her the earlier she is up the more she can accomplish! To no avail.

Loud pipes get you noticed. (And save lives sometimes)

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you do a search on Roadburners you will see that I have a couple of post about them on a 900 with pics on one of them. As I posted before they are a little pricey, but very high quality,you are getting a great pipe for your money. They sound awsome but just a tad bit deeper than stock at idle. Not very loud at idle at all, even high idle.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just ordered a set of Roadhouse 2 into 1 last week. They seem to be the most mellow with a nice deep rumble of all the after market brands. Check out Woodie 61 here on the forum. He has them on his 900 and they sound awesome.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Cobra longs will wake up the family. Trust me, ask my wife. I keep telling her the earlier she is up the more she can accomplish! To no avail.

Loud pipes get you noticed. (And save lives sometimes)
I road by a guy with Cobras on his Honda the other day with my window down, 70 mph. At a car length in front of him, I couldn't hear him at all. Bad because he was also in my blindspot. When his front wheel was about even with the back of my van I could start to here him. Riding with his rear wheel about even with the front of my van he was plenty loud, irritatingly so. A car length back and I could here him BUT I could see him too.

Now at lower speeds the sound would propagate more symmetrically, but adding any speed would distort the soundwaves towards the rear. A rather exagerated example would be a plane moving in the upper 600 mph range. The plane will go by you and then you'll here the noise. Same thing happens at lower speeds. If you can, go caging with your buddies rides and drive around at different speeds to see where your 'Cone of Silence' is. It would behoove you to KNOW where you can be heard. Don't forget to drive like you're invisible always though, I would never rely on noise, bright colors and lights, ever.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My wife and I were driving back from east Texas last weekend and two guys on Harleys were about a mile behind us. As they slowly caught up with us we started to hear the deep rumble of their pipes about 30-40 ft. behind us. They slowly passed and the rumble was magnificent. Like stereo. It certainly got our attention way before they passed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't ever understand why people want what they don't have? Want more horsepower? Buy a bigger bike to start with:>) you'll save a bunch of money too!

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Consider SilverTail Custom Pipes by Leo Vince.
They have silencers you can remove any time you want unscrewing a few screws. Then you have loud pipes. Otherwise you have not-so-loud pipes that sound much better than stock.

Cruiser Custom Exhaust Metric

Segoy
I know this is an older thread, but thanks a ton! I'm wanting the same thing: a little louder without setting off car alarms.

Yeah, yeah, TomE, shoulda bought a Harley if I wanted to sound like a Harley...but I also didn't have $14k lying around when I bought my Vn800--and I like liquid cooled.

I hope to keep the 800 to keep tweaking, then get a VStar 1300 to tour with. That's the plan anyway...
:p

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
If you want it to bark on command, but to ease out in the early AM, then a drill and a hole saw will be your best friend. You'll get your ride more volume under throttle without upsetting "she who must be obeyed" at 6:00 AM

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently purchased a 900 classic with cobra dragster exhaust. I found them to be loud even with earplugs in.

I added exhaust packing to the baffles, which toned it down a little but, I still needed to wear the earplugs.
I bought the packing at the local Kaw dealer for $8.

I tried the 1.5" crumb cup idea but, still need to wear the earplugs.

The dragster pipes have a removable tip which is held in place with a 1/4-20 screw ( same as the baffle).

I decided to make a mini baffle which mounts and is keep in place with the tip's 1/4-20 screw.

I found some 1.5" copper tubing which was laying around, cut two pieces ( 1 for each exhaust ), 2" in length.

Placed the cut piece in a vise, open end up, made 8 evenly spaced 3/4" deep cuts ( like cutting a pie).

I bent 4 of the flaps in toward the center, which formed a +. The other 4 were bent out slightly to make a
tight fit against the tip's exhaust wall. The final mounting position of the cut end of the mini-baffle
places it on the inside of the exhaust closest to the engine.

The un-cut end of the mini-baffle is positioned over the 1/4-20 screw.

I marked the mini-baffle's hole position, drilled and tapped the mini-baffle.

Obtained a 1/4-20 X 3/4" screw re-mounted the tip with the mini-baffle.

I drilled a hole in the mini-baffle's cross (+) to increase the sound level.

The bigger the hole the louder it becomes.

The nice thing about this is that I can remove the mini-baffle in about 10min. with minimal effort.
This enable me to modify it easily without being a major ordeal or permant change to the exhaust.

No more earplugs.

Yes, it barks loud when you crack the throttle and is quite when you don't.
At highway speeds I hear mainly wind noise when the throttle is held in place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts