Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know...I am seriously looking at a larger scoot...possibly Nomad, possibly Voyager, possibly Yamaha Venture. I have a few winter months to decide, but today, the riding weather was perfect and I took a little trip. We have received over 36 inches of rain in Sept-Oct, and the rivers and creeks and bayous are all rising...well above flood stage. So, I took a little trip just to check it out around this parish (county).

First, lots of water. Lots of flooded farmlands. Lots of roads closed (65 road closures in one neighboring parish).

Second, the 900LT simply runs like a top. I can hop on her and ride for a good half hour, then I notice that everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, about her is perfect. No misfires, no stalling, no stuttering, good torque at low speeds, very smooth, very comfortable, good fit for my body (6'2", 250).... I really start wondering WHY I would ever get rid of her. Every time I seriously think about trading her in, I notice how much I enjoy about it.
So, I will have plenty to read and to test-drive in the next few months.

You guys ever have that problem?

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Honestly, I've decided that this 9 Custom is gonna stay for another 22k miles at least...and probably more like another 50k to 60k...or more.

WHAT A GREAT BIKE! Heck, I just got her dialed in...why would I want to start all over again?

$.02

·
Registered
207 Posts
It seems like the 900 is such a popular bike on this forum,and I'm sure for good reason.I would love to take one for a ride to base my own opinion on it....I don't think i'd be dissapointed.Seems like a tough bike to get rid of.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Took my company truck to the house today and road a couple of hours checking our pipeline on my bike. I had exactly the same thoughts about why upgrade as I was driving down the Natchez Trace from Kosciusko back towards Jackson, MS. The weather was perfect, low 70's, and there was little traffic on the secondary highways or the "Trace". My "upgradeitis" thoughts usually go away as soon as I get off this computer, put in the earplugs, and get on my 900!

·
Certainly uncertain
146 Posts
Why am I seriously looking at a larger scoot?

Answer that question and you'll know what to do.
+1

I'll give you a few suggestions, see if any fit <grin>

You want:

-more arm stretching torque
-more unabashed two-up ridability
-just a bigger honking engine, OK? Is that alright? Get off my back already
-Less windage influence in open fetch areas
-Less buzzy cruising
-to carry your 300 lbs weight set with you when you travel, just to, you know, stay ripped
-To accomodate people around you who just can't pass up an Amish smorgasborg buffet when they see it
-to prove "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is"
-to stop saying 'Pass the Vulcan 2K' at family dinners
-just a bigger honking engine, OK? Is that alright? Get off my back already
-to keep your bike for the long term, money spent on accessories is lost money, so you don't want to accessorize until your are certain you won't out grown the bike for a while
-to take advantage of the financial situation right now; bikes may never be this cheap for a while to come and inflation could run interest rates way up in teh up coming years.
-to just try different things. This isn't a marriage, you can always go back if you don't like what you moved into.

I am sure there are others. No shame in just trying new things for the sake of it. Don't spend the kids tuition though. Ever throught of just renting a bike for a week or two?

GL and enjoy!

·
Back in the saddle.......
130 Posts
Hey OldDog, I have been going through the same thing. I get it in my head that I want a "bigger" bike, but I have no logical reason to do it. My 900 Classic fits me very well (6'1" 210), runs perfectly, handles extremely well and does two up fine. I test drove a bunch of HD's at their travelling test ride trailer (at the local dealership) and was not comfortable on one single one (I felt cramped on all of them, like they were made for the 5'2" crowd). Been on the Honda's, been on the Star's, still no feeling to buy one. I always end up feeling good about the 900 and can't justify to myself moving up in cc. Not that the other bikes are not good, they just don't seem like a "fit" for me like the 900. I say just enjoy it. You'll know yourself when its time to move on.

·
MadMac
246 Posts
I've ridden quite a few different scoots of varying engine displacements and I have found my 900LT to be the star of the class, in my opinion. At 6'1" with a 32" inseam, the LT fits me like a glove. Also, it's performance, I think, is perfect. I don't need to run 80 mph or run record times in roll-on contests, but I can ride this sweet machine at Interstate speeds for a couple of hours before pulling into a rest stop. I was thinking about the 1700LT, but why?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Everytime I look at the ad for new rides I keep thinking I'd like this one or that one before stopping myself with one word.......WHY??? I have no need to run over the speed limit (could though, if I wanted to), don't need to spend more on gas and a LOT more on insurance with a bigger ride. My wife tells me I don't need a new bike, and just this once....I agree with her. :mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.