Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been searching and trying to find a replacement windshield for my newly acquired 2007 Nomad. It came w/o a windshield, so I have no mounting (windshield to bike) hardware or windshield hardware etc. All I can find is plastic replacement that you put your old hardware on to make a new windshield. All great and grand if you have donor. I've searched ebay (old beat up stuff from someone's '99/oh look, this ones all bent up) only to find it's a minimum of $150 to get someone else's trash at this point then another $200ish for new plastic. At that price I could get a fairing (which is where I want to be in the end), just didn't want to drop that dime right now, other things more pressing in the budget. A new Memphis Shades is $200, but then there's mounting hardware. So now I'm back up to the price of a fairing. Have I missed a resource or am I just to the point where a fairing is the best option to go with even if it is ahead of schedule... The USA Trailer folks have good reviews and the fairing comes with mounting hardware to mount to the Nomad. Mostly just thinking out loud I guess

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know for sure if it will fit your bike, but I have the Memphis Shades Pop Top windshield and mounting hardware I pulled off my old '07 Mean Streak 1600 for sale. It's in really good shape, 7" headlight cut out, and is very lightly tinted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know for sure if it will fit your bike, but I have the Memphis Shades Pop Top windshield and mounting hardware I pulled off my old '07 Mean Streak 1600 for sale. It's in really good shape, 7" headlight cut out, and is very lightly tinted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks brother, I don't think the Meany and Nomad will cross on those parts from what I understand. Thanks for the offer though!
Keep the rubber side down!

H

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gonna be fairly expensive regardless of which route you go.

Here's what looks like a decent price for mostly complete oem hardware:

or

oem parts are available but prohibitively expensive:

I'd buy a Clearview replacement plastic for the oem hardware. thicker, better quality.
Also, far as I know the 1600 is unique, 1700 may have some common components, 1500 may fit but sits at a different angle, the turbulence off the 1500 one was one reason I sold my 2004 Nomad. One thing I did learn since is to make my own "lowers" but mount them on the engine guard with a couple P clamps, angled slightly back at the top, may need notched in the upper inner corner to clear the tank, did this on my current bike and it got rid of the head-shaking turbulence, air then fills the vacuum behind the shield and come up in front of you instead of on you..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna be fairly expensive regardless of which route you go.

Here's what looks like a decent price for mostly complete oem hardware:

or

oem parts are available but prohibitively expensive:

I'd buy a Clearview replacement plastic for the oem hardware. thicker, better quality.
Also, far as I know the 1600 is unique, 1700 may have some common components, 1500 may fit but sits at a different angle, the turbulence off the 1500 one was one reason I sold my 2004 Nomad. One thing I did learn since is to make my own "lowers" but mount them on the engine guard with a couple P clamps, angled slightly back at the top, may need notched in the upper inner corner to clear the tank, did this on my current bike and it got rid of the head-shaking turbulence, air then fills the vacuum behind the shield and come up in front of you instead of on you..
Yeah, pretty expensive anyway I go it looks like, OEM windshield new $450-600 depending where you go, OEM hardware ebay + plastice $325, Memphis shades windshield + mounting $350, Memphis shades batwing + mounting $450, USA Trailer Stealth batwing (comes with mounting hardware) just under $300 shipped - but has holes cut for stereo = additional $$, plus later painting to match.
Think it's time to swallow hard and just get the batwing that I'll want in the future, it may be cheaper anyway, who'da thought?

Thanks to all who've weighed in, I appreciate being able to draw on your experience!

Keep the rubber side down
H

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good luck with the quest. I spent 11 years and a bunch of money on 3 bikes before I found a windshield setup that actually worked. Ended up with a Madstad shield intended for a RoadGlide mounted on a cut-down Clearview in my stock Honda hardware along with home-made deflectors on the engine guard. Finally, 75 down the interstate is comfortable in an open-face helmet while looking over the shield. only shot of it I have handy:
GEDC4655.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, been searching and trying to find a replacement windshield for my newly acquired 2007 Nomad. It came w/o a windshield, so I have no mounting (windshield to bike) hardware or windshield hardware etc. All I can find is plastic replacement that you put your old hardware on to make a new windshield. All great and grand if you have donor. I've searched ebay (old beat up stuff from someone's '99/oh look, this ones all bent up) only to find it's a minimum of $150 to get someone else's trash at this point then another $200ish for new plastic. At that price I could get a fairing (which is where I want to be in the end), just didn't want to drop that dime right now, other things more pressing in the budget. A new Memphis Shades is $200, but then there's mounting hardware. So now I'm back up to the price of a fairing. Have I missed a resource or am I just to the point where a fairing is the best option to go with even if it is ahead of schedule... The USA Trailer folks have good reviews and the fairing comes with mounting hardware to mount to the Nomad. Mostly
Ok, been searching and trying to find a replacement windshield for my newly acquired 2007 Nomad. It came w/o a windshield, so I have no mounting (windshield to bike) hardware or windshield hardware etc. All I can find is plastic replacement that you put your old hardware on to make a new windshield. All great and grand if you have donor. I've searched ebay (old beat up stuff from someone's '99/oh look, this ones all bent up) only to find it's a minimum of $150 to get someone else's trash at this point then another $200ish for new plastic. At that price I could get a fairing (which is where I want to be in the end), just didn't want to drop that dime right now, other things more pressing in the budget. A new Memphis Shades is $200, but then there's mounting hardware. So now I'm back up to the price of a fairing. Have I missed a resource or am I just to the point where a fairing is the best option to go with even if it is ahead of schedule... The USA Trailer folks have good reviews and the fairing comes with mounting hardware to mount to the Nomad. Mostly just thinking out loud I guess
just thinking out loud I guess
Good luck with the quest. I spent 11 years and a bunch of money on 3 bikes before I found a windshield setup that actually worked. Ended up with a Madstad shield intended for a RoadGlide mounted on a cut-down Clearview in my stock Honda hardware along with home-made deflectors on the engine guard. Finally, 75 down the interstate is comfortable in an open-face helmet while looking over the shield. only shot of it I have handy: View attachment 41435

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hoseppy I've got a National Cycle Shorty clear windshield and the hardware (I think, need to check) it was installed on my '04 Vulcan 2000. I no longer have the bike the stuffs taking up space in my basement. Worst case you might need the brackets from National Cycle to fit your Nomad. If you want it let me know. I'll let it go cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts