Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined, bought me a antique KZ 750 LTD twin about 6 weeks ago after having been bikeless for almost 30 years.

I found your forum, looks a bit like the forum I visit for my airplane, liked what I saw and what I read so here I be :). I'll be asking a lot of dumb questions over time, ' cause I like to :) and I look forward to learnig a BUNCH!!!! ( that's if I don't tear myself or the bike up). I am using it a s daily driver weather permitting, and want to keep it it's current state of preservationIE stock and not torn up !!!

If I can figure out how to do it I will attach photos to this post..

Attachments

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
welcome, good effort to post pic. there are a lot of people who get back to motorcycles ofter a three decade layoff.
Can you give a bit more history of the bike: was it stored for a long time, etc.
I can appreciate keeping it stock, as long as the stock parts are in good shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The history, as I've been told...I'm the 3rd owner. When I bought it from the second owner, he had known the original owner most of his life. Riden sparingly when new, was stored 5/6 yrs in a barn, covered( except the L/H exh pipe. it's got some rust on it.) The 2nd owner stated he purchased it 5 yrs ago and just drove it around the yard at least twice a month. Had 16498 on the odometer when I got it, late Sept ( 17650 now)the last plate(tag) was dated 2005. I did a point set, plugs, cleaned out the carbs, drove for 2 weeks, lost the clutch cable on the way to work, got the new one in, and then dropped the bike at about 6 MPH, broke the mirror, shattered my ego, and distorted some VERY OLD rubber bushings on the triple tree. Got all that fixed ( all but the ego, still has bandages on it :) ) and I'm back to riding....D$%#&*d cold this morning though...............

Nice relatively smooth ride, seems to handle well. Goes fast enought for my needs ( but not so fast that I get left behind ). Was within my budget. Not my dream bike, but I can't afford that ( that's why it's a dream.......1947 Indian chief )

We have pretty good weather around here ( SC ) so it should be a 12 month a year ride. It's still got a slight miss at cruise ( 3500 to 4500 RPM). Just annoying, may look at it when I take the tires off for replacement ( about 1200+/- miles left). And a small oil seep at the base of the cyliders right at the parting face, looks like a dried up gasket causing it. I'll wait till it's bad enought to deal with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks alll for the nice comments!!!! I'll have to watch out for NCDave..........I work part time at a small grass airport in Concord NC.....

I'm in Fort Mill area, keep the 1/2 an airplane I own in Indian Trail NC ( I own half, and being an aircraft mech I own the half that always needs work :) ) I'll post some aircraft photo's the next time I go to the airport with a camera...... it's like me...another antique....'67 Cessna 172

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All;

Update........just turned 22,000 miles this week. Got new tires, new bearings in the triple tree.........had to learn how to ride all over again:), and LOVING it.

Have the bug REAL bad now.... went out and bought me a Honda V45 magna( to play with)....... starting a vintage bike collection. Figure I can't afford my dream bike, I'll just get a large bunch of other bikes and rotate them :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.