Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering everyone's opinion. I just saw those novelty helmets, German style, chromed, very cool looking, and I usually ride armed anyway, I have no interest in Nazi's or anything related to fascism (sp?) but do you think it is a problem wearing that riding around, would I look like a fool, Thanks, Doc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or how about flat black?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
you would def. look like a fool when your significant others come to see you and you only have half a face cause you ground the half off on the street when you wrecked from that car pulling out in front of you

·
Registered
309 Posts
You would look more foolish without a helmet IMO. I have seen those helmets before. I don't think they look good, but every one has there own taste. If you like that style, at least find one that is DOT aproved.

P

·
0 Posts
Doc2003Cobra said:
Just wondering everyone's opinion. I just saw those novelty helmets, German style, chromed, very cool looking, and I usually ride armed anyway, I have no interest in Nazi's or anything related to fascism (sp?) but do you think it is a problem wearing that riding around, would I look like a fool, Thanks, Doc.

Yes...and in addition to looking a bit foolish...it really doesn't do much to protect your cranium...

pms

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ever get hit in the face with a pebble that comes flying out of some cars tire thread at 60 MPH? NO?? Me neither. Know why?? I wear a full face helmet. That must hurt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wear what you want. Each his own. I would wear it if was DOT approved. I have had accidents with vehicles 2 times and went to the hospital both times. Was wearing a helmet both times. My last wreck I cracked the helmet in half and had a severe concussion and numerous broke bones. I wear a half helmet now and I'm happy with it. Most of my friends don't wear helmets. Yes I have been hit with bumble bees, wasp and rocks in the face, but its my choosing. I do wear goggles for eye protection.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Spookyb4 said:
Wear what you want. Each his own. I would wear it if was DOT approved. I have had accidents with vehicles 2 times and went to the hospital both times. Was wearing a helmet both times. My last wreck I cracked the helmet in half and had a severe concussion and numerous broke bones. I wear a half helmet now and I'm happy with it. Most of my friends don't wear helmets. Yes I have been hit with bumble bees, wasp and rocks in the face, but its my choosing. I do wear goggles for eye protection.

OUCH!!! Glad your still with us. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, 90 percent of the riders here around town, 45 mph, don't wear helmets, I do, I was just thinking of a fashion sense at slower speeds, I saw one (German style about 5 years ago and I though it looked cool, I love all of you, this is the greatest site I know, thanks, Doc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Doc2003Cobra said:
I don't think you'd look foolish but read this post from VROC Forum

PEGS DOWN FOR A GOOD MAN........... Wed, 12 January 2005 01:53

Mike Englebert was taken home for the last time this weekend. About a week
ago Mike was out ridin his bike as he seemed to do on every occasion he
could, when an otherwise nice winter day turned deadly. A young woman
turned her car into her driveway, unfortunately she did not see Mike who was
comin from the opposite direction. According to the police report Mike
turned left and hit his brakes in an attempt to lay his bike down but he ran
out of time and hit the car sideways at about 20 miles an hour. His leg was
crushed immediately and when he bounced off the car his head struck a brick
entry pillar at the drive. He suffered severe head trauma. I'll leave it
up to y'all to debate whether or not the novelty helmet has any place in
ridin'.
He arrived at the hospital in pretty bad shape but they were able
to stabilize his vitals on life support. They found that there was no brain
activity and from what I hear they were about to shut down the life support
when they ran a "final test" and found brain activity. They had placed him
in a drug induced coma and he was stable and gaining strength for several
days. This past weekend they decided to bring him out of the coma and when
they did he passed. I'm thinkin' that God took him home then for a very
good reason. His absence will leave an empty place in alot of hearts here.
He touched many lives. He comes from a large supportive "family" as was
evidenced by the number of folk that turned out for the viewing Monday
night. It started at about 5:30 pm and when I passed by the funeral home at
11:30 pm there were still at least 100 cars in the lot. The family he
leaves behind is gonna sorely miss him, in particular his daughter who just
told him two weeks ago that he was gonna be a Grandpa. I ask that y'all
send your Prayers to his family put your pegs down for Mike, he was a good
man. I know I'll miss him.

Buy a good helmet and wear it, that's my opinion. Cool will do nothing for you in a crash.

·
Registered
459 Posts
All too often, Sgt. Mike's story is repeated daily around the world with increasing regularity. Even the slightest tap on the head by a sharp object will send you to the morgue. I believe in to-each-their-own, as long as you know the facts. If one is informed of the facts and chooses to go a different route, so be it.

As far as the general appearance of someone on a motorcycle, consider this. Every time we ride, we are seen by hundreds, if not thousands of people. Those people may include law enforcement, judges, legislators and many additional types of people whose opinions will (not may) someday affect laws restricting the sport. While a rider may be a very nice person in reality, if you dress in a way that may offend or intimidate others, that is the opinion they will form. And it will outweigh 50 other positive impressions these same people get from other riders. That's because a negative sticks in the mind like cement.

No matter what anyone says, at any time, protecting yourself to a reasonable degree is paramount. "Cool" flows from within the individual, not from the garments they wear. I am aware of peer pressure issues, and if one depends on peers for the definition of cool, then one is going by another's definition that doesn't include consideration for the individual person. If they were true peers, it would not matter what you wear. It would matter what you are. Sometimes our desire belong allows us to lose sight of what is actually real and what actually counts. Close friends may rib you about that pink leather jacket, but they still remain your friends. It is up to each and every one of us to define our goals regarding this subject and make an informed decision about what is most important.
Ride safely

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
My husband and I both wear full-face helmets. I've taken rides without it (up into the foothills on weekdays, when there's no traffic), but I feel funny without it. Just like I feel on those few occasions I forget to put my seatbelt on right away. I just don't want to take any chances. I feel confident in my riding abilities, but I also see how terrible so many of the drivers are around here. I don't trust them and my brain, as feeble as it is these days, is still the only one I've got. I have to say that I enjoy the protection the full-face helmet provides. I've been hit by some huge rocks and numerous insects. I hate to think what that would have felt like if I hadn't been wearing my helmet.

I have a lot of friends who never wear helmets. We most often ride with our next-door neighbors. She wears a half helmet. He doesn't wear one at all. One gorgeous day we went for a ride together, but when we got up into the mountains, a big storm blew in and before we knew it, it was sleeting. My face and hubby's were nice and warm, but our poor neighbors' faces were frozen. Times like that make me really glad I have the full-face helmet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
SteveA said:
All too often, Sgt. Mike's story is repeated daily around the world with increasing regularity. Even the slightest tap on the head by a sharp object will send you to the morgue. I believe in to-each-their-own, as long as you know the facts. If one is informed of the facts and chooses to go a different route, so be it.

As far as the general appearance of someone on a motorcycle, consider this. Every time we ride, we are seen by hundreds, if not thousands of people. Those people may include law enforcement, judges, legislators and many additional types of people whose opinions will (not may) someday affect laws restricting the sport. While a rider may be a very nice person in reality, if you dress in a way that may offend or intimidate others, that is the opinion they will form. And it will outweigh 50 other positive impressions these same people get from other riders. That's because a negative sticks in the mind like cement.

No matter what anyone says, at any time, protecting yourself to a reasonable degree is paramount. "Cool" flows from within the individual, not from the garments they wear. I am aware of peer pressure issues, and if one depends on peers for the definition of cool, then one is going by another's definition that doesn't include consideration for the individual person. If they were true peers, it would not matter what you wear. It would matter what you are. Sometimes our desire belong allows us to lose sight of what is actually real and what actually counts. Close friends may rib you about that pink leather jacket, but they still remain your friends. It is up to each and every one of us to define our goals regarding this subject and make an informed decision about what is most important.
Ride safely
Very well put Steve. And thanks.

Michel Hebert (Sgt Mike)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use both depending on how long or where I am going or the weather forecast. If I am going to just go to the store , 25mph speed limit, I usually don't wear one. Allot of people up here do not were them, the law is a helmet the first year then no helmet required, Though most once getting there license never wear one again. There excuse is at 60 mph if you get in a wreck is a helmet even going to make a difference? But at the same time allot of people wear full leather for protection but no helmet? I always say to them well your skin might not be tore up but you won't have a head.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Make sure the helmet is DOT or SNELL approved, whether full face or half helmet. Most novelty helmets are not DOT approved.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You're welcome, Sgt Mike.

I don't believe Snell will approve anything but a full face helmet. I have read that counterfeit DOT stickers are out there, especially on those beanie helmets. I believe that the Snell certification may include 2 drops of the helmet in testing plus additional review of the fastener system.
I suppose those beanie helmets are some protection, but if one is going to wear at least that little, just step up a little to something safer and more comfortable. Don't wait to be convinced to do this by getting hit in the face by something. There are lots of open face helmets with great graphics along with the new Shoei helmets with a really edgy shape, DOT & Snell passed.
Ride safely

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
non DOT beanie helmet, and yeah, i know i am stupid, but like a few others have said, it is my choice and i AM well informed. i am actually hoping to eliminate buffeting when i install my fairing, so i may be able to go back to the full face. it does feel more secure, and makes sense, so.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts