Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering everyone's opinion. I just saw those novelty helmets, German style, chromed, very cool looking, and I usually ride armed anyway, I have no interest in Nazi's or anything related to fascism (sp?) but do you think it is a problem wearing that riding around, would I look like a fool, Thanks, Doc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the double post.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Doc2003Cobra said:
Just wondering everyone's opinion. I just saw those novelty helmets, German style, chromed, very cool looking, and I usually ride armed anyway, I have no interest in Nazi's or anything related to fascism (sp?) but do you think it is a problem wearing that riding around, would I look like a fool, Thanks, Doc.
I don't think you'd look foolish but read this post from VROC Forum

PEGS DOWN FOR A GOOD MAN........... Wed, 12 January 2005 01:53

Mike Englebert was taken home for the last time this weekend. About a week
ago Mike was out ridin his bike as he seemed to do on every occasion he
could, when an otherwise nice winter day turned deadly. A young woman
turned her car into her driveway, unfortunately she did not see Mike who was
comin from the opposite direction. According to the police report Mike
turned left and hit his brakes in an attempt to lay his bike down but he ran
out of time and hit the car sideways at about 20 miles an hour. His leg was
crushed immediately and when he bounced off the car his head struck a brick
entry pillar at the drive. He suffered severe head trauma. I'll leave it
up to y'all to debate whether or not the novelty helmet has any place in
ridin'.
He arrived at the hospital in pretty bad shape but they were able
to stabilize his vitals on life support. They found that there was no brain
activity and from what I hear they were about to shut down the life support
when they ran a "final test" and found brain activity. They had placed him
in a drug induced coma and he was stable and gaining strength for several
days. This past weekend they decided to bring him out of the coma and when
they did he passed. I'm thinkin' that God took him home then for a very
good reason. His absence will leave an empty place in alot of hearts here.
He touched many lives. He comes from a large supportive "family" as was
evidenced by the number of folk that turned out for the viewing Monday
night. It started at about 5:30 pm and when I passed by the funeral home at
11:30 pm there were still at least 100 cars in the lot. The family he
leaves behind is gonna sorely miss him, in particular his daughter who just
told him two weeks ago that he was gonna be a Grandpa. I ask that y'all
send your Prayers to his family put your pegs down for Mike, he was a good
man. I know I'll miss him.

Buy a good helmet and wear it, that's my opinion. Cool will do nothing for you in a crash.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

most novelty lids are not DOT approved ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
And yes, I think they look stupid, but who am I.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I guess the appearance you want when you ride is up to you. If you are just the average Joe out riding with a chrome German military helmet on, there's a pretty good chance of looking silly. :oops:

·
Registered
459 Posts
NH allows the choice to be that of the individual.
However, I have to say that it is way too easy to die from something that you wouldn't expect could kill you. Next time you're at a stoplight, or going around a corner in the city. Just look down at the sharp-edged curb just a few feet from your bike. Even if you just dropped your bike at the light & fell with it, if your head contacts that curb, you may be receiving meals through a tube in the future. I recently read of a crash that happened when a passenger was thrown off a bike while the rider was trying to avoid a car. This was a slow speed incident. His beautiful blonde wife's head was split open by a sharp curb in the median strip. She didn't have a helmet & now her husband is a widower.
There is a lot of BS out there about wearing helmets. Yes, I occasionally rode without one in my younger years. But a lot of anti-helmet verbiage is old lore & dreamed up garbage. I know there is a lot of risk in many things that we do. I am one for personal freedoms and individual choices. And I would never vote for a mandatory hekmet law. We don't need legislators protecting us from ourselves. But I feel that doing something so simple (and add more comfort!) that can reduce and even eliminate most serious head injuries and save lives, I can't grasp why someone wouldn't DEMAND to wear a helmet.
Just my 25 cents! :)
Ride safely

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with you and that's why I wear a helmet, but, around here it's funny, probably 50 percent of bike riders don't wear helmets, that's just the way it is, won't change my policy of not wearing one and I bought one for my wife (she has to wear it), but, the attrativeness of this helmet just caught me the other night, and, actually realizing they are so unsafe, guess I won't get one, thanks for all the inputs, Doc.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Doc2003Cobra said:
I agree with you and that's why I wear a helmet, but, around here it's funny, probably 50 percent of bike riders don't wear helmets, that's just the way it is, won't change my policy of not wearing one and I bought one for my wife (she has to wear it), but, the attrativeness of this helmet just caught me the other night, and, actually realizing they are so unsafe, guess I won't get one, thanks for all the inputs, Doc.

Maybe you should buy it since you admire it and just keep it where you can enjoy seeing it. I have 9 Samariu swords placed around the house because I admire them...just to look at them. ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Novelty helmets. If they're a novelty, who's the butt of the joke?
Let me rephrase, are novelty helmets for buttheads?

Seriously tho, it's like bike riding itself. It's riskier than being in a car. Just how much of a risk depends on the relatively minimal protective wear available. How minimal is an individual choice.

Only place for them is a slow, bike-packed parade. On the open road or in traffic, play it safe.

P

·
0 Posts
Doc2003Cobra said:
Looking like a fool is somewhat in the eyes of the beholder but many will say yes to your question. Helmets are an interesting subject though and cause all kinds of undue emotion (you don't see rallies and protests over seatbelt laws...). You'll hear more BS arguments on the subject than you are likely to care about...many of which are kind of foolish themselves (I have a "right" not to wear a helmet...where is that in the constitution?).

Anyway, this novelty item likely won't provide any protection to your noggin if that's important to you. If it's an image you are after I suppose this will suffice though I don't really understand that one either.

I didn't understand the tie to "usually riding armed". Can you explain how that ties into your thinking on this helmet?

pms

·
Registered
459 Posts
Whistle Clean had a great idea. Buy the sucker and just put it on display in your cycle area. I've got a bunch of junk in the bike area that I don't need. The stuff is there for the overall atmosphere it provides.
Ride safely

·
Registered
806 Posts
So if someone gave me a free Chrome "German Style" helment, novelty or DOT I'm pretty sure it would be collecting dust in the closet, just not who am I, is it who you are? Noone but you can say. Says something, just not sure what.

I like my black FF with heavy graphics and my black half which I wear most of the time. I have a beanie and I like the fact it's light and almost like it's not there, I just have a mental block that it's like using scotch tape instead of a seat belt.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pms07 said:
Looking like a fool is somewhat in the eyes of the beholder but many will say yes to your question. Helmets are an interesting subject though and cause all kinds of undue emotion (you don't see rallies and protests over seatbelt laws...). You'll hear more BS arguments on the subject than you are likely to care about...many of which are kind of foolish themselves (I have a "right" not to wear a helmet...where is that in the constitution?).

Anyway, this novelty item likely won't provide any protection to your noggin if that's important to you. If it's an image you are after I suppose this will suffice though I don't really understand that one either.

I didn't understand the tie to "usually riding armed". Can you explain how that ties into your thinking on this helmet?

pms
The weapon has no link, I just put that in, I didn't have to mention it. ? Acutally at this point I wouldn't get the chromed one, although it looked pretty, I think a flat black would look nicer. I probably won't get one, although maybe just for fun display in the house, that was a good idea, thanks for the input. I not that big into image although we all to a degree, why do we make our bikes so pretty, for ourselves for sure but others see it to. I don't even have leathers, I wear a ski jacket (very warm) when it's cold out, but eventually maybe I'll get the leathers for added safety, thanks all, Doc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I ride with a full face helmet, leather jacket, boots jeans, and gloves. Yes, even in the summer. I may not look cool or tuff or like a ruff tough biker, but I look like a biker and thats what I want to look like. Am I tough? try me. Do I want to look like a tough guy? not at the cost of my head. You know what I notice about those that wear shorty helmets? They wear jeans and motorcycle boots or construction shoes. Are your feet more important than your head?

P

·
0 Posts
Doc2003Cobra said:
I not that big into image although we all to a degree, why do we make our bikes so pretty, for ourselves for sure but others see it to. I don't even have leathers, I wear a ski jacket (very warm) when it's cold out, but eventually maybe I'll get the leathers for added safety, thanks all, Doc.
Well, of course you are correct to a great degree about the image thing. Why do all the self-styled rebel without a clue, lone-wolf, biker bada$$ non-conformists generally wear the same gear and clothes? Why do they customize their bikes all very similarly? Just coincidence I suppose...or to be accepted and identify with a certain group?

So, when not being sarcastic I'll admit I do likewise. As an example, leathers protect fairly well in a fall but I like them regardless. When on a group ride I checkout other bikes for ideas on accesories and customizing as well...

pms

1 - 17 of 17 Posts