Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now the cable is lubed nicely and I plug it in then screw it in but once i get above 5-10mpg the speedo needle starts jumping everywhere and it makes a god awful metal against metal noise, so i'm not sure whats up...

someone please tell you've had this problem, killed a man out of frustration, figured out the problem, and then apologized for the murder...tomorrow i'll take it to the crooked dealer otherwise.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SPEEDO

If the speedo is making noise try a short burst of white grease into it...if it doesn't fix the problem...you may have to remove the cable and housing and se if it is in the cable and housing or not. If not hopefully it's the speedometer itself and not anything else...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already removed the cable from the rear of the speedometer housing and the noise is gone & while I'm moving the end that is now sticking up & out of the way is spinning as normal, so it must be the inside of the housing.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Housing

So take a shot of white grease and put it up into the housing. If it doesn't work then you'll be looking for a new/used one or rebuilding the one that you have. I hope that the housing quiets down with the chain wax or white grease.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not sure if this help but I used to have an S-10 pickup that for some reason had a separate small box, guessing to set the speedometer right, between the speedometer and the transmission. Cable went into box, box went into transmission. Had about the same problem, when I found the box, I pulled it off, greased it, worked perfect,. Was the box not the cable giving me trouble? Might not hurt to check.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled open the housing and shot a bunch of grease into it to no avail. Turns out there is a sealed system inside that must have dried out but I can't open it so I'm looking for new gauges right now.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HMMM

IF you can't find new ones let me know. New is the best way to go though. You know when you bought them and you know that they are going to work. You could be like the H-D guys..."Don't need no stinkin' speedometer..." but, I like to keep track of mileage, oil changes filter changes, plug life, way to many things that you couldn't do without an odometer..besides My guessing of a speed would cost more than a gauge if I got a ticket anyway. Good luck on hte search, Stuart.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just bought 480$ of text books and 200 of supplies so new is not an option to me, it looks like e-bay luck may be needed in order to get at least a working speedo and if the tach works great...if not, my current one didn't work before the speedo went out anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts