Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how may miles can be expected out a OEM Bridgestone Radial on the Vulcan 2000? My Brother has 4K on it and it looks like it is getting down there, but then again, it never seemed to have as much tread as my 900 Tires.. Anyone recommend a better longer lasting tire?

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
I got about 5,500 miles from the stock Bridgestone that came with the bike. The tire wasn't shot and had some life left when I replaced it but, I like to go a bit fast at times so I thought it would be safer at those speeds to replace the tire when I did.

I went with the Metzler ME-880 200/60R16 and with 2,500 miles on the tire now it seems to be wearing at the same rate as the Bridgestone did.

I am going to be replacing the front with an ME-880 soon with a total of 8,000 miles on this Bridgestone.

Hope that helps you.:-D

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
I got around 7000 on mine. Put back on OEM tires again because I got them so cheap. Wasn't worth it to me to spend a bunch of extra money on tires to only get a couple thousand extra miles out of them over the OEM tires. I think I paid $260 shipped for both a front and rear tire from American Motorcycle Tire- - American Motorcycle Tire That's the price of just a rear tire from Metzler!

Update: I just checked AMT and for the V2K the front tire is $97 and the rear is $137 plus shipping. Pretty good deal!

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
The factory Bridgejunk tire on mine lasted just under 4,000 miles. Have over 9,000 on my new tire and expect close to 25,000 miles before replacement.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am on my second set of stock Bridgestones on the rear, I got a little over 9 thousand on the rear, and average around 7,300 on the two fronts I have put on, now on third. The tires are cost effective, and I will continue to use them. I run the bike hard and fast most of the time, and I do a lot of quick stops, (use the front brakes more than the rear, this maybe why I get lower mileage out of the front.)

Tony

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I got 4400 from the stocker and went darkside. 8000 on the CT and it looks like new.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
average around 7,300 on the two fronts I have put on, now on third. The tires are cost effective, and I will continue to use them. I run the bike hard and fast most of the time, and I do a lot of quick stops, (use the front brakes more than the rear, this maybe why I get lower mileage out of the front.)

Tony
If you can find a MC REAR tire the same size as your front you can mount that bad boy backwards on the front. Same design BUT with more tread to start out with.

·
V2KTN
87 Posts
About 5K-7K is about what my son and I got on our Bridgestones. He got the 5K and I got the 7K. We both tried Metzlers (7K) and then he went to a Goodyear car tire and I went to an Avon 200 60 16 (8K), then to an Avon 240 50 16 which has 4K and still looks pretty good. Maybe I'll get 8K-9K out of it. His car tire is still going strong and he's money ahead. I just don't like the handling with the car tire.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
If you can find a MC REAR tire the same size as your front you can mount that bad boy backwards on the front. Same design BUT with more tread to start out with.
Almost double the usable tread. A new front had almost 6/32" a new rear was over 10/32. Also its not as round in profile. Lay it on the boards and there is no way to leave chicken strips. This means you also have a larger footprint making contact.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
i got 7500 out of mine, and nother 1200 on nearly no tread (dumb)

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Most stock tires suck in both performance and durability.
The most popular tires are Avon and Metzler. I have one of each and they offer better performance on sticking to the ground better and everyone says they will last longer too.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
7500 stock dunlop rear, 7500 metzler rear, 18,500 with plenty of tread left Alitmax rear.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yea, that was the drawback with the Altimax, it was 72 bucks and I had to pick it up, around the corner from where I work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts