Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got the dreaded nail in the tire on my 04 VN1600 (3500 miles). Of course it's not repairable even if I had wanted (which I don't). So I went looking for an OEM Bridgestone replacement 170/70B16. Having a hard time locating one because everyone I have talked to has to put them on back order. Finally found a Kawasaki dealer that could order it for a cool 200 bucks. Now I can wait a couple of weeks and get one from another place for 120 but we all know how backorder's can be.

Sooo anyone else have this problem. Should I go with a different tire? When asked for some of these places to recommend a different tire I don't get a straight answer. Part of the reason I asked is because they keep asking me "Oh so you want to go with OEM tire?" So this tells me that people do not do this. I am fairly new to riding (1 year out) so I am unsure of what to do.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome vulcan - glad to your aboard

tire opinions will vary - imo bridgestones stink!
although they will give decent mileage,i think they are too loud after some miles on them and if not checked often for pressure have been know to cup
a little

i prefer the metzler tire for performance but there are several great tires
on the market-all i would need is an excuse like you have to shed the
stk tires and mount some good performing rubber - its the only thing between you and the pavement and i won't skimp on rubber-i have never
replaced tires with the stk rubber- i consider it an upgrade :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with bikeaholic, go with the Metzler tire. I bought my V2000 in Feb and I only have 7000 miles on it, but the back tire needs to be replaced and the front don't have much left either. I had Metzler tires on my 1500A and was completely impressed with them. I will never buy anything else for my bikes.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
How about going a size up in tires- can you do on the Classic without rubbing fenders? Would this affect cornering ability?

Phatboy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the replies. This is my second vulcan first was a 97 800. I love these bikes although I do wish for more stock power.

Anyway my concern is that I have a perfectly good front tire which is the OEM Bridgestone and I am not sure of mismatching tire brands due to tread patterns. Should I bite the bullet and replace both with a totally different brand? I really am stuck here. I have a bike that I want to ride with a flat. I can get an OEM replacement now but it cost 200 bucks. Shoot I just put 4 new tires on my truck for under 400. If I wait a bit maybe I can get an OEM from a distributor for around 120. But I am still stuck with OEM's and I think there may be a racket going on.

Just not sure what's best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts