Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am gonna start the thread. Alan (Nomadinator) and I discussed riding toward Hawks Nest Wv and maybe the New River Bridge. Weather permitting of course.

Alan I would say lets meet at the usual place at 7am? Sound good?

·
Made it to first gear
103 Posts
I have to work that day, but have a great time. you really need to ride to Fayette Station below the bridge. Awsome scenery.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ok I am gonna start the thread. Alan (Nomadinator) and I discussed riding toward Hawks Nest Wv and maybe the New River Bridge. Weather permitting of course.

Sounds like a plan! I-77 and 250 at 7am.. ;)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts

Which way do you want to go to Gauley Bridge?

Make some time and take I-77 to Charleston and then Rt 60 east (like we did).

Or, takes a bit longer, but 2 lanes roads, take Rt 16 from St Mary's?

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
depends.... if you want to spend more time in the area I say lets make time.

Think your connie riding buddy would want to come. LOL

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
depends.... if you want to spend more time in the area I say lets make time.

Think your connie riding buddy would want to come. LOL
It all depends on how long you want to stay in the saddle and how many other people want to go along.

;)

I am going to do a mapquest mileage estimate from Marietta so everyone has an idea of what the ride will be like.

·
Made it to first gear
103 Posts
If you go to the overlook side of the gorge you will find the road down, you will go down one side cross the old bridge and come up the other side. Go slow and enjoy the view.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If you go to the overlook side of the gorge you will find the road down, you will go down one side cross the old bridge and come up the other side. Go slow and enjoy the view.
Thanks Jay!

Been by there a bunch of times and have never taken the old road.

The way down is the road the overlook is on correct (go straight instead of right into the parking lot)?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ok folks, here is what this ride entails.

From Marietta, Ohio (you will have to figure your mileage to there).

Option 1
If we take Rt 16 (two lane roads) to Gauley Bridge and do the loop, it will be 324 miles and almost 9 hours of ride time (not including breaks). Almost all 2 lane roads option.

Option 2
If we run I-77 to Charleston, then do the loop back to Marietta, it will only be 10 miles less (314 miles) but shave an hour and a half off. 7 hours 15 minutes of ride time (again, not including breaks). 175 miles of highway option.

Option 3
Marietta to Gauley Bridge via Charleston. Then a quick loop back to Gauley, returning on Rt 60 to Charleston and I-77 back to Marietta. This is 322 miles, but only a hair over 6 hours of ride time. 250 miles of that 322 would be highway.

This ride will be through Gauley Bridge (two waterfalls), Hawks Nest State Park, New River Bridge, and Summersville Lake and Dam. Plus some wicked twisty roads! Can't forget them now can we??? :D

·
External Ballistics Engin
84 Posts

Sure I am in...weather permitting of course...what is up with this site...it keeps coming up with a pop up saying it is a malicious site???

1 - 20 of 84 Posts