Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running amsoil 1040 and a k&N 303 filter on my little cruiser, which I believe are good stuff but a little pricey, I actually found the amsoil at my local napa store for about 11 bucks a quart and the filter I ordered from shucks for about 14 bucks, I am thinking of switching, I'd like to get it a little cheaper, wally world has mobile 1 synthetic for about 9 bucks a quart and there supertech automotive filter for a 3 bucks, is it really cheaper in the long run? or should I stay with what works?

·
Thread Killer
1,053 Posts
Have a look here:

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

The Wal-Mart filters are a steal, actually made by Champion. Stay away from Fram.

As to oil, that's a long-running debate here. There's general agreement, however, that you need to change regular oil more often than synthetic. How often? I'll leave that one to someone else. :tongue:

Personally, I use the Wal-Mart filters and cheap 10w40 oil. I change them between 2-3000 miles usually. So long as the oil meets ANSI and SAE standards. Additives, though, are a no-no with a wet clutch.

As you can see from the oil filter page, price often has more to do with marketing than with quality. I'm doubtful that motorcycle specific oil is worth the money, although I've used a lot of it in the past, synthetic too. Do a search and you'll find that subject to be another hotly-debated topic, and not just here.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I too changed, last time, to the supertech filter. No problems with it... and it is slightly larger than the OEM so it will hold more oil.

There are numerous threads on oil as this is a common question. I believe more than a few riders are using the Mobile 1 synthetic... (Rich can tell you about it.)

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
Everyone says to stay away from Fram oil filters.........why?

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
I run the Purolator 1 micron filter - about $6.00 at Advanced Auto. I also run their wet clutch 10-40 oil. Four quarts for about $15. With it being that cheap, I change at least twice a year. All oil is good, some breaks down quicker but for 2000-3000 miles it's all about the same. As long as it's for motorcycle wet clutch and has all the approvals. Small micron filters keep more particles out of the flow. If you have a screen and alternate drain, make sure you drain that every time and wash it off with cleaning fluid.

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
Okay...read the report, dont agree. As my mother taught me, don't believe half of what you read... and then have a strong suspicion of the other half. In this day of internet...a lot of what you see out there is garbage. This guy is an electrical engineer. Not to throw dirt, but I have a cuz thats an engineer and I have more brains and common sense in my right little toe than he, so the author being one doesnt hold much water with me. Fram's been making filters for more years than most people here have been riding. I noticed last night while at Wally World and getting my filter that it is a Fram, built specifically for motorcycles, been the same one I've been using for 10 years both in my Royale Star 1300 (with 90,000m b4 the wreck...engine was still going strong) and 5,000m on my Kawi1600 and have never had a problem. With the screen the 1600 has, it should pick something up and there isnt anything. (gosh what a load of crap comes out of that engine at the first 500mile change!) In all my many many oil changes I do (every 1000-1200 miles w/filter) I've never noticed any cardboard or paper. I cracked open my used one last nite....actually still looked pretty darn good. All the paper element and cardboard was 100% .....there! If I wasnt so durn anal I'd start changing that filter every OTHER oil change but I wont. Believe what ya want people. I think this guy and the common belief re:Fram filter is [email protected]@[email protected]@t. I'm going riding now at lunch time..C-ya.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You don't have to believe what you read online but I've witnessed Fram first hand failing on more than one occasion.
We where at the dragstrip one day and this car was having trouble so the guy pulled the car for the day and since he was there and had no car he did an oil change. The Fram filter was BONE DRY. The filter was stamped (or however they make it, wrong and was not allowing oil to flow. Also knew another guy that had a similar issue where the inside of his Fram was like disentegrated. A filter is supposed to filter the oil, not come apart and put junk into your engine.

So you don't have to believe that report but take it from me, I've witnessed it twice in my life so far and would never run one on any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
opinions are like Butts, every body has one! right? now I'm running probably one of the best filters on the market in the K&N 303 and running amsoil 1040 motor cycle oil probably one the top 2 or 3 oils on the market, I'm probably going to switch to mobile 1 oil once again 1040 for motorcycles, my owners manual says change every 6 grand, I personally think thats pushing it, I'm thinking of 4 to 5000 mi. but to do that you need to use good products, not ok products, why would I use oil thats not really for motorcycles for 6 bucks when I can buy the right and good stuff for 8 bucks, I mean look how much we payed for these bikes new and we're going to go chinsey on oil and filters, and as far as changing the oil every 1000 to 1200 mi. you spend more time changing oil then riding thats just plain overkill. But I do appreciate the info very helpfull. Now lets go get some bugs in our teeth!

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
15 mins to chg oil..once a month..whats the big deal? I spend more time on the crapper and your not gonna dish me for that are ya? Even Rich says 2000 on reg oil is the max and I agree with that. Like ya said, we spent too much $$ (actually I think bikes are much cheaper than autos so we're still coming out on the low side) so why push the envelope on oil changes. I stand by my opinion that Fram filters are okay and I'm not swayed by some bozo on the internet that writes well. IMHO. (and like my opinions I think mighty highly of my butt! LOL)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I totally agree with you, I'm just trying to keep the little cruiser running for as long as I can, but I'm on a budget so I'm looking to get the best parts as cheap as I can. I have used fram filters as well as Baldwin Napa fleetguard and many other brands all have worked just fine. being a truck driver I have done quite a bit of my own service work and the trucks didn't care what type of filters I used. The owners manual says change the oil every 6000 mi. That seems a little too long so I'm thinking of 4 to 5, the oil (amsoil) in it has about 2500 now and it looks as clean as it did when I changed it. thanks for the comeback keep on ridin and Arrive alive.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Okay...read the report, dont agree. As my mother taught me, don't believe half of what you read... and then have a strong suspicion of the other half. In this day of internet...a lot of what you see out there is garbage. This guy is an electrical engineer. Not to throw dirt, but I have a cuz thats an engineer and I have more brains and common sense in my right little toe than he, so the author being one doesnt hold much water with me. Fram's been making filters for more years than most people here have been riding. I noticed last night while at Wally World and getting my filter that it is a Fram, built specifically for motorcycles, been the same one I've been using for 10 years both in my Royale Star 1300 (with 90,000m b4 the wreck...engine was still going strong) and 5,000m on my Kawi1600 and have never had a problem. With the screen the 1600 has, it should pick something up and there isnt anything. (gosh what a load of crap comes out of that engine at the first 500mile change!) In all my many many oil changes I do (every 1000-1200 miles w/filter) I've never noticed any cardboard or paper. I cracked open my used one last nite....actually still looked pretty darn good. All the paper element and cardboard was 100% .....there! If I wasnt so durn anal I'd start changing that filter every OTHER oil change but I wont. Believe what ya want people. I think this guy and the common belief re:Fram filter is [email protected]@[email protected]@t. I'm going riding now at lunch time..C-ya.

Dude there is a reason every car and motorcycle enthusiast website will have the general consensus that FRAM sucks and it's not because it's just a rumor that everyone seems to believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts