Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 96 vulcan 1500 with 17,000 miles . oil was changed when I got the bike 1100 miles ago.had to add almost 1quart of oil already . does that seem normal :?: I put in 10w 40 kaw oil . I live in florida so its been pretty hot , and I don't really push the bike hard at all. anybody have any input????? thanks Ron

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
are you sure it was full up at the last change? any signs of oil burning like smoke out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi dogman,

Try posting this topic in the mechanics corner if you haven't yet.
You should get some quick responses also.

The owners & service manual has 20W50 as a recommended oil especially for warmer climate areas.

As for the oil usage you could have sticky rings. Rings stick if deposits of carbon and varnish form on the rings or ring grooves. These deposits slow down or stop normal ring action. This problem allows the oil to get past the rings and go out the exhaust. The deposits of carbon & varnish accumulate after time and build up when the engine isn't run often enough or waiting to long between oil changes.

To solve this problem You can try adding an oil additive to use to clean the engine. This is usually performed by adding the additive to the oil , letting the engine run for a while(most likely stationary since we have a wet clutch system), then do a complete Oil & Filter change.

Please check with your dealer first on their recommended procedure

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil for this problem on my cars engines and piston aircraft engines. This product helps prevent sticking valves too. For preventive maintenance I do this prior to every oil change. This product can even be added to the fuel to help clean the fuel injectors or the jets on a carb set up.

Good Riding
DfgPilot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts