Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing the oil on a 500R, does the "O" ring need to be relpaced as well? Oil change is....Oil, Filter and O-Ring???
I have changed the oil once but only the oil and filter...oopss...was I supposed to change the O-ring too? I am ready to change oil again....I want to be sure I am doing it the correct way.

Thanks!! :wink:

·
Registered
605 Posts
yes, when you get the new o-ring out, take your finger and a little bit of clean oil, that you're about to put into your bike and cover both sides of the o-ring with it...this will ensure a proper seal on the bike's filter...(I used to work for jiffy lube...can you tell?)

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is no seal on the filter like on a car filter?

·
Registered
605 Posts
you need to restate that question so I can understand it...if you have a screw-on filter now a cannister filter there is already an o-ring on it but you need to put some oil on the rubber ring to make sure you get a proper seal

·
Registered
605 Posts
gee...I only wish I knew as much as Villaven above me...you can do it either way you choose to, if you'd like to see what can happen if you don't properly seal the filter to the engine be my guest :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Actually what I think she is talking about is on the 500 the oil drain plug has a gasket to help seal it.

And Kelly, you only need to replace it if it is damaged.

Joe

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may had not meant the "O-Ring"....but I think you all answered my question on the correct way to change the oil.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've cleaned this thread up, it was getting very unproductive.

Basically to change the oil you remove the drain plug and old filter. Put the drain plug back in. Put a bit of oil on the rubber seal on the oil filter and hand screw it on tight. Then add oil, its pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freakinout said:
I've cleaned this thread up, it was getting very unproductive.

Basically to change the oil you remove the drain plug and old filter. Put the drain plug back in. Put a bit of oil on the rubber seal on the oil filter and hand screw it on tight. Then add oil, its pretty easy to do.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DiverDown said:
Actually what I think she is talking about is on the 500 the oil drain plug has a gasket to help seal it.

And Kelly, you only need to replace it if it is damaged.

Joe
Thank you!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts