Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you, folks. How often do you really need to change the oil in your scoot? After the 600 mile service, what mileage should your next oil change be? I believe the 900 manual states 7500 miles (not sure because I don't have it in front of me as I type this) but I've heard some folks say there should be a change at 3500-4000 miles. Any thoughts/opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I change mine at 3,000 miles....Read your manual again and notice the footnote about changing more frequently.
Also use the search feature of this forum....there are many opinions about oil change and types of oil to use.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I follow the guidelines in my manual, though I am good about checking my oil regardless. If you have other concerns (such as warranty), then it's probably safe to play it by the manual and have your oil changed (or change it yourself and document it) as often as recommended to avoid any possible hassles. I'm inclined to follow the rules for both my bike and car and change them either by the mileage or the time it's sat in the tank. I'm NOT a mechanic and I would recommend you get their input, but my logic tells me that you probably don't want old oil in your tank if that's ever the case. Fresh oil just seems like a nice little thing to me even if it hasn't drunk up too much :smile:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the retread question folks. I just did a search and came across a pretty big thread from last week that answers my question.

The Search feature is my friend, the Search feature is my friend...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I follow the guidelines in my manual, though I am good about checking my oil regardless. If you have other concerns (such as warranty), then it's probably safe to play it by the manual and have your oil changed (or change it yourself and document it) as often as recommended to avoid any possible hassles. I'm inclined to follow the rules for both my bike and car and change them either by the mileage or the time it's sat in the tank. I'm NOT a mechanic and I would recommend you get their input, but my logic tells me that you probably don't want old oil in your tank if that's ever the case. Fresh oil just seems like a nice little thing to me even if it hasn't drunk up too much :smile:
HEY!!!! A "Bonnie" sighting!!!!!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I change the oil in mine at every 2000 miles. For what it cost (approx $20.00 a shot if I do it myself) it's well worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts