Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of oil can I use? I know the manual says 10w40, but can I get say Mobil 1 synthetic and use it? or do I have to use Kawasaki oil? Either way, I have to go to the dealer for a filter:frown:

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
What kind of oil can I use? I know the manual says 10w40, but can I get say Mobil 1 synthetic and use it? or do I have to use Kawasaki oil? Either way, I have to go to the dealer for a filter:frown:
Yes.............Mobil 1 synthetic 10w40 would be an excellent choice. And there are better filter choices than the OEM from your dealer. Search oil and filters on this forum, and you will get a good idea of what most owners use. Never use 10w30 energy conserving oils, they have friction modifiers which can cause clutch slippage in bikes with wet clutches which includes all Vulcans.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks..Now does anyone have any tricks on how to keep it upright so I can see that pesky oil window?

Also, where is the bolt located? I dont want to take out the wrong one..This will be my first ever oil change on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
474 Posts
thanks..Now does anyone have any tricks on how to keep it upright so I can see that pesky oil window?

Also, where is the bolt located? I dont want to take out the wrong one..This will be my first ever oil change on a motorcycle.
In front center of oil pan.Directly behind front tire.

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
Wildjersey...................Go to this site, should tell you all about your Vulcan. Look around for specific info on your 800. This site is very helpful, and will help you perform just about any maintenance on your bike. The Vulcan Oil Screen

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wildjersey...................Go to this site, should tell you all about your Vulcan. Look around for specific info on your 800. This site is very helpful, and will help you perform just about any maintenance on your bike. The Vulcan Oil Screen
HEYY!! on that oil screen website,, the screen is backwards for a 800. It should be plug-washergasket-spring-metal washer-rubber gasket-screen. The rubber gasket goes on the end of the screen and towards the metal washer. IN other words, in the picture, turn the screen around, end for end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I remember hearing that full synthetic and a wet clutch was a bad combo. Too slippery or something. That was many years ago and maybe it was a bunch of b.s.
I like plain old castrol gtx on most old bikes. Its what I have always used. On my higher performance zx900 I have been using motul semi-synthetic 10w40.
I think it might be a better idea to stick to a motorcycle full synthetic instead of something that was designed for a low rpm producing car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so im gonna order some stuff from motorcycle superstore, and I found a sale on oils..Never heard of the brand thou and was wondering if its any good.

bel ray vtwin synthetic oil 10w50 1 quart, $16.99.

Would this be better to use in my vulcan then the mobil 1?

or how about motul stuff?

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
so im gonna order some stuff from motorcycle superstore, and I found a sale on oils..Never heard of the brand thou and was wondering if its any good.

bel ray vtwin synthetic oil 10w50 1 quart, $16.99.

Would this be better to use in my vulcan then the mobil 1?

or how about motul stuff?
I seriously doubt you will find a better synthetic MC oil than Amsoil MCF, or Mobil 1,......10w40 in both oils. And they won't cost you $16.99 qt.

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
i was just wondering, since an above poster said mobil 1 in motorcycles is a no no:icon_frow
I personally use Amsoil 10w40 MCF, and have had no problems, only very smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. In addition, I have read positive remarks on this forum, in reference to using Mobil 1 10w40 / 20w50. But....you do not want to use 10w30 automotive "energy conserving" oils, as they contain friction modifiers that can cause slippage in wet clutch engines, which includes most, if not all Japanese Metric bikes. Never use any type of additives which promise less friction in you engine. Wet clutch approved MC oils have a JASO MA/MA2 labeling in service application printed on the bottles. Amsoil MC oils states on their label that their MC oils are: "wet clutch compatible" Now I am not sure which particular Mobil 1 synthetic oils are JASO MA/MA2 labeled. I'm sure someone will post soon with that information.

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
i went to mobil 1's website, seems they only offer 10w40 in high mileage
I know many riders on this forum use Mobil 1 in their engines. Most recommend 10w40 in temps below 100 and 20w50 for extended riding in very hot climates mant days of 100+ temps. Do a search for Mobil 1 oils and you should find the infor you need. If you can find a post by Rich Lockyer.... not sure of the last name spelling. He is the resident Guru on MC oils. I'll see if I can find one of his posts for U

1 - 20 of 39 Posts