Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into a problem with my 01 800 classic. I changed the oil today, put on a new filter(mobil 1 110) fresh oil (3 quarts 20-50 valvoline) and when I started it up the oil and temp lights are on and won't go off. I got my wife to sit on it and lean it up after the first startup and the oil level was right in the middle in the sight glass. Now, if I lean it up and look I can't see any change. What is wrong? Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Air pocket in the oil pump. First try opening the oil filler cap. If that does not work, try unscrewing the filter just a touch (quickly, or oil will make a mess, make sure you have a catch pan under it) and re-tighten.

·
Registered
887 Posts
20w50 is too heavy for a 800, it's not an air-cooled H-D. I'd run 10w40 or 15w40 (rotella) is what I use.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Like Mcwrath said, pump is air bound. Loosen filter a turn or two loose, crank engine for just a second, turn off it it starts, then tighten filter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took filter completely off and no oil in it!!! What has happened? Loosened it a bit and cranked and noticed nothing was coming out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it! Got the wrong oil filter and the pump wouldn't pump through it! I guess I need to get a vulcan specific oil filter. Live and learn! Thanks youuns for your help! That's why I love this forum.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Fixed it! Got the wrong oil filter and the pump wouldn't pump through it! I guess I need to get a vulcan specific oil filter. Live and learn! Thanks youuns for your help! That's why I love this forum.
I would also heed the advice from Cosmicclassic about 20w50. It's far too heavy for that bike and most bikes for that matter. You'll notice it when you shift also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was checking on oil changing posts and found that a Mobil 1 110 would fit. Yeah, it fit but for some reason won't flow oil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really doesn't matter. The point is I learned something today about the oil pump and something it is capable of even if it wasn't my problem. If something similar like this happens again I have something else to check. Thanks for all the quick responses!

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
That filter shouldn't be a problem. I've never airlocked an oil pump during an oil change and am wondering what people are doing to accomplish it.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
I also agree with running 10w40 oil in that size of a bike. The 20 is suited more for hot climates. You live in Kentucky not Arizona.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
20W-50 will be fine as long as you don't ride below 32 degrees I believe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had planned on doing a quick change anyway because I don't know what oil had been used previously. Thanks for the tips guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts