Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just change my oil for the first time on my new 2004 500R. Everything was ok last night, I let it idle in the garage and never reved it per the manuals instructions. This morning when I got is out to ride the oil view window looked strange. it had a foggy look to it. I drove it to work and it still has a foggy look to it, I check the drain plug and filter and nothing was leaking, I watched the oil light the whole ride in this morning and it never came on. Should I be worried about this? I used a Kawi Part oil filter but I used Valvoline oil.

Thanks

Frank

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Nothing to be worried about, but I would keep an eye on it. My 500R has done this before and it went away on its own. I think the humidity has something to do with it. Just as long as the levels are good then just keep an eye on it and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You

Thanks, that does make sense now that you mention it because it we had some cold weather here last night, it was in the 30's which is pretty cold for Texas. The temp around here changes so quickly that that would make sense

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: Thank You

fpw23 said:
Thanks, that does make sense now that you mention it because it we had some cold weather here last night, it was in the 30's which is pretty cold for Texas. The temp around here changes so quickly that that would make sense
30s? Where in texas are you? up here in lubbock is a low of 8, (yes 8) and a high of 30.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd agree

I'd agree with what the others are saying.

I got a few problems with water in my oil after having the valve cover off for a few weeks in some wet weather. Having just replaced the waterpump oil seal though I had more reason to be worried.

The advice I was given was privided there was not a lot of mayonaise like stuff in my oil was to take it for a long ride, get it hot and boil it out.

I put fresh oil in from a sealed container which seemed to be better than the old stuff too. After a few hundred miles it appears to have cleared its self out.

I'm told its quite common to get condensation in the winter and it tends to be drawn to the window. Also idling etc can do this.

I'm guessing as you have not posted back in the last week all is ok anyway :)

30s is just about freezing isn't it for those of us who were brought up in metric?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts