Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to change the oil in my sons bike can i use just regular 10w40 aotomotive oil i live in florida so i figure the thicker oil would be better sence it gets so hot here.or do i need some special oil. thanks

and do i fill it up half way on the glass on the side of the motor? thanks

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
search for oil threads...there are a million...

what kind of bike and consult the MOM (owners manual) and if in doubt yes middle of the sight glass...

recommend a high quality oil though that meets JASO req's of course not knowig the bike type or years makes it hard.

I run Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella syn in my bikes

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
search for oil threads...there are a million...

what kind of bike and consult the MOM (owners manual) and if in doubt yes middle of the sight glass...

recommend a high quality oil though that meets JASO req's of course not knowig the bike type or years makes it hard.

I run Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella syn in my bikes
ya i seen this topic brings up a lot a contraversy 93 kx 250 thanks for the info

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
search under oil and kx250 since dirt bikes play abit of a diff game

·
Registered
917 Posts
the great oil debate never ends.

From my understanding and this should be plain to all, the oils bought at a motorcycle shop by Yamaha, Honda, and may be even AMS, Klotz, ect are all made by the larger oil companies, prices marked up, then sold as "special".

There are manufacturers and distributors. Buying more direct is cheaper and you are getting the same product.

I buy Valvoline 10w40 SF SG rated oil for Motorcycle or ATV at local auto store for $4. Some by Rotella from Walmart for $11 a gallon. Others buy $7 a pint Klotz. And a few will buy ATF type F for $2 a quart.

To each his own, you will never get a consensus.

Opinions for Best 4 Stroke Motor Oil Wanted

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mines $9 a quart. :)
Well I guess the question is would you rather have 2 quarts of 10w40 for $9, or 4 quarts of AFT type F for $9, or 1 quart of your so called "special performance" oil for $9?

Follow the money and it will lead back to Mobil, Shell, ect, but every year your little distributor will renegotiate the contract and switch suppliers so the quality could vary.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bel-Ray SAE 80w Gear Saver Transmission Oil is what I use. Not to start and arguement but would you put 10w40 oil in the transmission of your car? or would you use transmission fluid?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, not for gear oil. Gear oil for a car is 80w. Tranny is totally different. Motor oil is just regular 10w40 or 20w50.
what i am saying is each part of the drivetrain use different types of oil. So you wouldn't put 10w40 in your transmission you would use transmission oil. That what I am saying about using 10w40 in a dirtbike transmission. It would breakdown too quick.

·
Registered
917 Posts
10w40 is the same as 80w motorcycle gear oil.

80w auto gear oil for a rear end is thick is hell and would not work with a clutch.

Atf type F can be used in both transmissions.

All my manuals for 2 strokes have said use 10w40

1 - 17 of 17 Posts