Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i'd like to greet everyone around here.
I am new to this forum and i see that there are many experienced riders around here.

I ride 2004 ZX6-RR.
I wonder what are your experiences with oil consumption on ZX6-R and ZX6-RR.
I am particulary interested in 2003 and 2004 models.

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OIL

You should be using regular oil till you get your bike to the break in stage..actually till about 3,000 miles or so, before you try synthetic, or it will continue to pass oil because the rings won't seat, because they aren't getting enough wear. If you are experiencing consumption then you should get a compression check done on your bike, and a compression leakdown test. We are curious and this is what the FORUM is for...so Please keep us updated on what you find...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will put in half-synth now and switch to full-synth at 6000km
My dealer and service man says that factory states:

636- up to 8dcl per 6000-8000 km
RR -no oil consumption

my friends 636 is a huge oil drinker. He will have to take the bike to the doctor i think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi!
I'm the friend that Soho talks about..

Well there is't much to say except that my bike thinks that oil and fuel consumption needs to be equal :shock:

Recently I did my service on 6000km, changed oil, blabla.. everything you're supposed to do.. and 1000km later (on about 7000-7500km) I needed to add a nother liter of oil..
Now I have about 8700km on the bike and the oil level says something like LOW ?

Help needed.. I do push my bike alot.. it does most of the work above 8000 rpms but still it shouldn't be eating oil like this.. right?
I plan to take it to shop and have it examined..
Any advice would be wellcome.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oil dosen't just disappear, especially that fast. Is there a puddle under your bike? Could it be that the oil filter is loose or has a hole in it, or the oil plug is loose, maybe the treads are stripped? Just some obvious questions that you probably already ruled out. The more info the better. Look around your bike and check to see if you see any oil spots that shouldn't be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well there are no stains under his bike as far as i know. I was thinkin yesterday about the problem. He switched to full-synth early after first service at 1000km. Maybe that caused bad sealing in the engine and the oil is burnin and disappearin somewhere.
Just a thought. :?:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SYNTHETIC TO FAST

Going to synthetic to fast when the rings aren't properly seated will cause the problem...as the walls in hte cylinders are not yet slick they are in fact microscopicly little hiles/dimples...so it is entirely possible to pass that much oil through to the exhaust...have it switched back to just plain oil till the consumption stops...then go to the synthetic!!! SEEN IT--BEEN THERE..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes! That could be it!

I checked the bike throughly today.. no leaks, filter is just fine.
Everything looks great, but when I checked my akrapovic exhaust after the ride there was lots of moisture and it was sliping through my fingers!
When I wiped that off the end of the can i cleaned a layer of at least 0.5mm something black and burned.. that could be the last 2-3 liters of oil that I put in.
Now I am runnig semi-synthetic oil.. I planed to change to silkolene pro4 plus next week after I bring the bike back from service. I already arraneged the date and everything.
What do you guys think I should do?
Go to service and run semisynthetic, or go to service and run synthetic.
OR don't go to service till my next service interval (3000km) because I already have semisynthetics in the bike.

And just to give you more info what the problem could be..
0-1000km = regular brakein oil
1000-6000km = Shell advance ultra - fully synthetic oil
6000-now9000km = Shell advance vsx -semisynthetic oil

Thanks for help so far! You guys are great!

:D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
regular oil

Regular oil till you seat the rings! Chat with the mechanic...IF he's been a mechanic for a while he will tell you the same thing. Your fuel economy will also increase when the rings seat in properly. I believe every thing on the bike should be docummented even fuel consumption. This way you could have seen that it was still increasing and hadn't reached a plateau, or level, it was still on the rise telling you that the rings were still seating. Records are one of the most important things that you can keep, next to receipts.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Break in / 10-40 regular oil

non synthetic, not para-synthetic just the regular oil...I'd use a regular conventional oil until my fuel consumption was topped out and remained at a flat rate. If you had a bike shop you could run compression checks and watch teh compression keep building every 1,000 miles or 600 Kilometers until it finally peaked and remained the same...just keep tabs on your gas mileage till it flattens out then go to using a synthetic oil. It won't hurt running regular dinosaur oil as long as you keep the filter clean...once you get to the point of running synthetic oil all you will have to do is change the oil filter every time and the oil every other time...as teh oil is awesome and the filter is for catching anything...else.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DINO

DINO as in Sinclair Service Station Dino the Dinosaur I'm still not sure of the proper spelling it's been so long since I've seen them around...dinosaurs...perhaps Uncle Bob could chime in...he's an old timer....!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts