Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I work at Cycle Gear, and was talking to the manager about doing the oil change on my 636. He said that FRAM or K&N didn't make an oil filter because something was different. I was bummed cuz I didn't want to have to buy it at my dealership. Well, I went over there and they told me that I would have to get one from them directly, and told me that K&N didn't make one. Well, I was at work today, and a manager from another store showed me the catalog where it lists K&N Oil Filters, and sure enough they make one! SO, for anyone who wants to do the oil change themselves, it's KN304!
SO, FYI!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Don't use Fram - the paper filters are known to disentegrate and cause lots of engine problems in motorcycles.

K&N on the other hand is made of quality construction.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Don't use Fram - the paper filters are known to disentegrate and cause lots of engine problems in motorcycles.

K&N on the other hand is made of quality construction.
It's not the paper filter element that gives Fram filters the bad rep they have. It's their use of cardboard end caps. All the other filter manufacturers that I'm aware of use metal end caps to hold the filter element. Fram claims the cardboard end caps are acceptable but I don't know if I would trust it especially when there are other filters out there in the same price range which don't use cardboard end caps. I also fear the glues they use to hold the filter element to the cardboard might eventually break loose.

On a side note, I've recently switched over from using motorcycle specific filters (ie OEM Kawi filters) to using automotive filters. A bunch of guys are running Purolator filters in their 10s. We've also been able to find a longer filter that allows more filtration area and a bit more oil capacity.

·
Registered
193 Posts
According to an article posted in a different thread, the Purolator Pure One is supposed to be the best filter you can buy. I haven't tried to fit one to my bike yet, but I'm certainly going to try, next oil change.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There are many many filters that would fit on your bike, but why screw around with your baby? As noted earlier stay away from Fram.
I've heard of some guys using filters from Mazda-Miatas on their bikes, because they saved a few bucks each time. But this is your baby we're talking about here! You don't have to buy it from your local dealership (they sound like real winners). Buy it from another dealership (or ronayers.com) and see if they'll cut you a quantity discount if you buy 6 or more of them. Because my 9R and wife's 6R both use the same part number, I order them a dozen at a time well in advance of needing them and my dealership cuts me a nice price.
Getting something as simple (yet crucial) as this from WalMart is penny-wise and pound-foolish.
-CCinC

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well that's your opinion. But there's no secret on how a filter functions. Oil goes in one way flows through a filtering element and comes out into the engine. I'm not doing a different filter to primarily save money. I'm doing it because I can use a longer filter which provides more filtration area and more oil capacity. But like you said, it's your bike and you can do whatever you want with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts