Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mobil 1 m108 must be larger than kaw original filter.Today i changed my oil and filter .Always put in 3 quarts and 8 ounces.Today after doing the same thing I came up about 4 or maybe 8 ounces short of the full level,top line.It is just in the middle so I guess the filter holds a little more.Now I will have to go et a quart to top it off.Next change this spring will be to full synthetic.Any body else run into this????

·
Registered
95 Posts
After you're done, go for a couple of long runs and then check your air filter box for oil. If you overfill the case you'll find the extra oil there, seems to be pretty common to overfill.

Just clean it out and note when it stops, that'll be your full level.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Mid glass is where you want it anyway.....

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
With my VN900, the oil level is best if it shows as in the middle, between the high and low lines in the sight glass. Nearer the upper line results in some oil in the air filter box. More than that would mess up the air filter and it would have to be replaced - not very cheap!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Yes, mine takes more with the Mobil 1 filter . . .

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've used the m108 filter on my 500. Works good. But I've changed to a Purolator Pure One PL14612. About 1/2 the price of the Mobil 1, and it filters out smaller sized particles. The only fear on that is that it filters so well that it may clog and go into bypass, but I change my synthetic every 3000 so I figure my oil does not get that dirty.

Something to watch with the Mobil 1... look in the end at the small holes that run around the circumference. You will see a gasket. Make sure the gasket "looks the same" in all the holes all the way around. Sometimes the gasket is not centered and the oil will bypass the filter element.

My bike told me it does not like oil toward the top of full. I did not see oil in my airbox (500 vs. 900?) but it would have a "sticky" clutch when cold. I'd put it in gear, and it would kill the engine sometimes, so I keep it exactly in the middle.

Brian

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I've used the M108 for my last two changes and it took 3.5qts. No xtra needed.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
my v2k seems to take more with the mobil 1 filter also

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I switched to the longer Mobil Filter the 110 I think (cant remember off hand) so my 900 takes an ounce or two more. More media is always better. Had to move the Rectifier out a bit to make it fit.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just added 4 more ounces and it's perfect.so it took 3 quarts and 8 ounces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts