Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble each time I try and get the oil filter off of my 06 1500 classic. I have managed to get it off with a rubber strap wrench with a lot of cursing. I also have a metal end type wrench that fits perfect but after I get if on there is no room for a ratchet between the the filter and the goat bladder. Any thoughts on a better methoud??:icon_frow

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Sounds like the perfect excuse to put aftermarket pipes on it! :D

I've never really thought about that problem because I had replaced my pipes and the bladder isn't there any more. I just use channel locks to grab hold of the old filter and turn it enough to loosen it. I think your strap option sounds like one of the better options you'll have.

Surely there's others on the forum that have solved this though.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I use a strap wrench that has a 4" handle. Usually take a couple of tries to get a grip but no real problems.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
I use the metal cap deal on mine. The 900 had no issues, the 2K won't allow me to get a regular socket wrench on. (clearance between radiator and end of filter) I use Purolator filters that are slightly longer than the stock filters. I have a tool, don't know the correct name, but, it's like a breaker bar with the male end of the socket on the end. I've got a couple different sizes. The 3/8" size is pretty compact and no longer than a socket wrench. The end swivels, and after I put the cap on the filter, I can push the "bar" on the filter cap. Just a thought. Saved my butt pulling the rear plug on the 2K also.

Craftsman 10 in. Flex Handle - Model 44363 at Sears.com

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
i solved my problem with a set of aftermarket pipes. now i have plenty of room to remove the filter :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found a dealership that does the oil and filter change for $20 here in AZ. I just take to them at lunch and it is done in 30 minutes. You should check around to see if anyone in you area does the change at a fair price.

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
use a K+N filter there is a nut made on the end of the filter then you just use the same 17mm wrench that pulled the drain plug, also bear in mind the filter doesn't hold the whole bike together you really don't need a 3' cheater bar to put it on

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
also bear in mind the filter doesn't hold the whole bike together you really don't need a 3' cheater bar to put it on
It doesn't, ****... Anyone need an air impact oil filter wrench? I won't need mine anymore... :shock:

·
Praying for sun!
146 Posts
I second the 'aftermarket pipes' excuse. First change I did was a pain in the a$$. Had the filter wrench that went on the end and then use a socket. With that you can only get the filter started coming off before you are stuck and need to screw back on to get socket out. This weekend was first oil change since I put on the V&H pipes. All the clearance in the world and was also able to add a longer filter.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
The simple solution for me was an oil filter wrench that looks similar to a pair of pliers. Quick, easy, works on any size filter and simple to use.
I think I paid around ten bucks at the mart for mine. Here is an example.Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench Pliers

·
smokey_243
105 Posts
I screw mine on by hand and unscrew it by hand and have never had an oil leak. Be sure to lube the gasket before you tighten it up. My bike has over 30000 miles on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts