Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'v taked to a freind/mechanic and asked what kind of oil to put in my bike and he said 10 w 30 would be fine, i put 10w30 high milage in, but my uncle who also is good with bikes says that it will cause by clutch to slip, he says i should go to motorcyle oil or deisel oil. what do you guys think?

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
gar.rocko,

That is what I put in my bike. I don't put any special oils in either of the Kawi's....I do make sure and change it every 3000 miles......

Heather

·
Registered
159 Posts
type of oil

Hi:
I stick to KAWA-CHEM. ITS JUST ABOUT THE SAME PRICE AS AUTOMOTIVE OIL. WHY TAKE THE CHANCE. IN FACT, KAWA-CHEM CONTAINS CERTAIN FRICTION ADDITIVES NEEDED TO STOP GLAZING OF THE CLUTCH PLATES. GLAZED CLUTCH PLATES SLIP AND WEAR OUT. AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CLUTCH PLATES GLAZING THEREFORE DONT ADD THESE COMPONENTS TO REGULAR ENGINE OIL. AUTOMOTIVE TRANSMISSIONS DO HAVE CLUTCH PLATES IN THEM AND DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF FRICTION MATERIAL USED BY THE DIFFERENT AUTO MANUFACTURERS ON THEIR CLUTCH PLATES AND BANDS, THEY USE DIFFERENT TYPES OF TRANSMISSION FLUID IN THE DIFFERENT AUTOS MANUFACTURED BY DIFFERENT AUTOMAKERS. SO, OIL IS OIL AND WILL LUBRICATE AS LONG AS ITS IN THERE, BUT WILL IT PROTECT THE CLUTCH PLATES? IM NOT WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE TO FIND OUT. GUYS, YOUR ONLY TALKING 2 TO 3 QUARTS.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A Little Secret

Did you know that 5W/30 oil that is recommended by most auto manufacturers is not recommended for use so that the oil will get up to the top of the engine faster when the engine is first started as they may have you believe ! It actually is a major configuration in the whole "MORE MILES PER GALLON" race between the auto makers. You see, 5W/30 oil actually produces less drag on an engine at startup and when running down the highway therefore being a fractional percentage calculated in with other fuel saving ideas adding up to more MPGs. Think about it. 3 in 1 machine oil is a 10 weight oil. Think of how thin a 5 weight oil is. Do you really think that your engine is getting lubricated when first started with a 5 weight oil? Its like water. And it stays 5 weight until it gets hot. That could be 3 to 5 minuets. I would rather wait a split second longer and get at least 10 weight oil up there. Another thing, for all you MOBIL OIL lovers out there. Mobil had a big law suit on their hands due to the MOBIL OIL COMPANY selling their product with less than the required specifications to the airline industries. Yup, they packaged their product in a container that stated it matched the ingredients required by the airline, but the product inside did not match the label on the container.They have since then merged with Texaco, for reasons unknown. I dont know what came about with the lawsuit, but if they shortchanged the airline industries, you could just imagine what they would do to us ! On a personal note ! I maintain, for an amusement park, 48 Go karts. I always manage to use a name brand oil in them such as Valvoline, Castrol, Agip ETC. I keep very tight records on each Kart and am very aware of the amount of oil usage per week. On very rare occasions I am forced to use Mobil oil in the Karts. The amount of oil consumption per week when using Mobil, is unbelieveable. Deffinately not in my shopping Kart. Guys, if its cheap, its no good. No one is going to give you anything that is good, cheap. I use KAWA-CHEM. Sure, there may be something better out there, but until I find another company and check out the ingredients in their product, ill stick to the OEM brand. Its cheap enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts