Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is a simple question. I have read quite a bit of the threads here and have decided to go with Mobil1 synthetic oil. I believe I should use 10W-40 as well. However, it appears that Mobil1 has 2 motorcycle oils: 1) Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and 2) Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 . Is the Racing 4T what I should use since it is 10W-40? They say it is for four-cycle motorcycles, but I don't really know enough to understand it :p Thanks for your help,

Aaron

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Why the name it what they name it, lord only knows. Don't use 20 weight under 32°F, it's too thick according to the manual. Other than that, both of them are designed for single case Clutch,Gears and motor.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
Many will disagree here but the manual recommendations are for petroleum base oil. Run 10w-40 synthetic (or 5w-40 or 0w-40) even in hot weather. Synthetics have so much better characterisitics at high temps they make the normal viscosity ratings (based on petroleum oil) a joke. A synthetic 10w-40 will give better protection (film strength and thickness) in your motor than a 20w-50 petroleum, plus being lighter weight, will flow more and carry away heat better.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Aaron I have had my 07 900 Vulcan classic since new. Other than the first 600 miles it has had nothing but Mobil 1 syn 20-50. But I also live where it very seldom gets under 32 deg. I am in central Florida so the 20w50 works for me. Call me old school but in the heat I still think thicker is better.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Vn900 is water cooled so 10-40 is the recomended for any type of weather anywhere.
You should be fine with Mobil 1 Racing 4T. I've used it before twice but went back to Castrol Evo 10-40 do to do difference in performance but big difference on the price. Once I used Mobil 1 20-50 and my bike became so noisy and cluncky so went back to 10-40.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Stick with the 10w40.It flows and cools better than 20w50(critical at start up and cold conditions)Synthetic oils wont break down as quickly as dino oils.However, if your bike leaks and uses oil and you change your oil often,then save your money and run the dino oil.I run Mobil-1 4T racing 10w40 in my 30yr old KZ, but she dont leak and I red line her alot :wink: Those water cooled v-twins dont really need that high caliber oil. And dont ever run any additives in your oil either, theyll either slip the clutch or clog the filter.:wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.
@ DJH: I live in Oregon, so it doesn't really get super hot here regardless ;P I get plenty of the colder weather though :)

The price is definitely spendy as V-Twin said :( though I've read a lot about it not breaking down as fast as zoro said, so I'm hoping that'll help set off the higher price.

Zoro, what exactly does dino oil refer to? I see it mentioned a lot, but don't know what it really means.

Thanks again guys :)

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Zoro, what exactly does dino oil refer to? I see it mentioned a lot, but don't know what it really means.

Thanks again guys :)
Dinosaur Blood! :lol: It refers to "Fossil" oils or million year old dead "dino"saurs. Petrolium based oils. The main reason I use the late model motorcycle specific synthetics in my bike is for the added zinc. A very necessary oil ingredient for the older high reving air cooled engines.:wink: Regular oils are "Dino oils" Non-synthetic

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
All oil is petroleum. Synthetic can be made two ways. The least expensive is by modifying a base stock so the polymers are all about the same length and the second from scratch which allows the base stock polymers to be created with all the same lengh and characteristics. If it isn't a petroleum product, man made or otherwise, it is called a lubricant. Teflon is a lubricant, moly is a lubricant.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Any good quality oil with the min specification for your ride...I am a DIE hard MOBIL 1 user and never had any problems...cars boats cars and jet engines...
i use the shell rotella syn at times in the 14 when i cant find mobil 1 avail...its a great oil too, i just change it sooner

·
Ride it! 100% Poser
234 Posts
I use the Rotella-T Syn 5-40 year round, run it for 7000 mi. and have had no trouble of any kind. It has all the additives that you bike needs. Mobil 1 is good, but pricy. Wal Mart carries the Rotella T Syn for $20.00 gal +-. I have 250,000 on my truck with this oil, 17,000 on the Nomad. No oil related issues at all....Look this forum for "All about oil" using search. Should you not find it, contact me and I'll send it to your email.

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts
Amsoil recently published an extensive test of motorcycle oils. Here it is at this link:
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Of course they show their's is best. Interestingly the Mobil 1 10w-40 comes very close. They did not test the Rotella-T Syn presumably because it is not marketed for motorcycles. Interesting article regardless of your preferences for brand or type. I've also heard a lot of people running the Rotella-T dino oil which I think is 15w-50. Our Walmart carries it but not the Synthetic but PepBoys carries both as well as both Mobil 1's for bikes.

I'm still breaking in my 900 but will probably change to either the Mobil 1 or Rotella-T Synthetic after about 2000 miles. The Rotella is about half the price of the Amsoil or Mobil1 for bikes. Hard to get many miles in right now as Middle TN is in the teen's and 20's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.