Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock VN900 Classic with 20,332 miles.

Had a local shop do the valves, plugs, oil change w/ filter, air filter, and a few other things at about 16,000. They found the air filter had a lot of oil in it and the plugs were fouled accordingly. Had not seen this problem previously.

At about 19,000 the motor started to tell me it was time for another oil change as it usually does. She also had started poping a bit on decell, hesitate/hang occasionally, began being temperamental on cold starts. Not at all normal for this machine.

Couldn’t get Amsoil so I settled for Mobil 1 V-twin and ran a tank of fresh gas with a double shot of Seafoam. The motor did not return to the normal fresh oil sound, lots of valve clatter. The popping and other issues did not improve. I was suspecting that the valves were out of spec…

But guess what…

I pulled the filter last week and it was oil soaked again. Plugs looked like the plugs out of my high mileage Jeep after 20-30,000 miles. This with only 4,000 miles on them.

Replaced the OEM filter and plugs with NAPA equivalents Friday night. Saturday AM performance was back to normal. I can attribute the loud valves to the change in oil, but I think there is still a problem as there shouldn’t be so much oil in the intake.

Possible reasons????

Oil overfill… The oil level from the shop was spot on, as it was when I changed it. The level is consistent… no obvious loss. But as you probably know checking the oil level with the site-glass is not a scientific procedure.

Blow by… If this is the reason I have real problems. I bought the bike with 600 miles on it, maybe it wasn’t broken in right?

If it does it again I might pull the re-breath hose, plug the hole on the intake, and add a foot of hose and a separate crank case breather filter under the tank.

Your thoughts????

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Sounds like too much oil. I always have a little in my air cleaner box, but have never had it soak the filter. I Have 34K on my 06. I know not much help really but its all I can give ya.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Vulcan 900, I have the same problem from time to time. I have also read here and on the Yahoo fourms that it is a pretty common thing, the oil in the airbox. I myself notice it most when I first change oil. Call me silly but when I change oil I fill'er up to the top of the line. Well it seems this bike (at leats mine) sort of finds its own full level. Once it gets to a point slightly above 1/2 and the extreem full point it levels out and dont push out the oil to the breather. I usually pull the air filter out a couple of times to wipe out the excess. I have run Mobil 1 syn V-twin since the 1500-2000 mile mark on this bike. Plugs now I dont know. My scoot has around 16K and still have orginals in it. I have pulled them and cleaned and re-gapped when I checked the valves a few months back. Maybe a longer length of hose with a loop in it and a low spot would cure the problem. Now I just try to only fill it to the center of the site glass when changing oil.

·
Registered
543 Posts
All engines are going to spit up some oil into the air breather from time to time. There isn't a whole lot you can do about it it is the nature of the design. Older carbureated cars and trucks would do this too, it was especially bad if you had a worn pcv valve. As is the case with all the v-twins I've had I usually pulled the breather every month or two and cleaned it up since there was usually a small bit of oil sitting in it.

Just make sure your oil isn't overfilled. If you're fouling a lot of plugs I'd be more inclined to say that it is an engine tuning issue rather than excessive ring blow-by. You really don't have that many miles on your bike to have worn the rings out already.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You know, something you said just struck a cord with me. Something about the old carb engines & the PCV valves. I remember something about putting a small piece of foam rubber (big enough for air to flow thru) in the PCV hose to help elminate getting oil up into the breather on my old Ford. Guess its worth a try huh.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
I just finished my 24000 mile service today, there was oil in the bottom of the airbox, allways has been. Make sure the gasket is in place that seperates the chambers of the airbox, shouldn't let any oil actually get to the filter and into the intake.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Yep, my VN900 always has a little oil in the air box when I've changed the oil. Filling even slightly above the middle of the sight glass results in more oil in the box. But so far there hasn't been any oil on the air filter itself.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
My '06 - 900 Classic had oil in the filter box all the time. High rev's has a tendency to do that ( 70 MPH and up). Has to do with the way the case vent is built and mounted in the intake box. Doesn't matter if your oil level is over or under full. Still does it!

:D
Aif

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Stock VN900 Classic with 20,332 miles.
If it does it again I might pull the re-breath hose, plug the hole on the intake, and add a foot of hose and a separate crank case breather filter under the tank.

Your thoughts????
All the rest of your post was pointless. If you havn't done this yet you haven't addressed the problem. Just put the friggin hose and extra filter on there and relax. This blowby oil is on every stinking model, just run a hose from the port, up to the bike spine, over the back cylinder and down into the big open space behind the ECU where the California models have a charcoal box. Put a filter on it there to keep bugs from crawling up into your engine and relax, never think about it again.

All the valve grinding and seal replacing you can do will not stop the engine from splashing the oil around like its supposed to and then having that mist not collect in the air filter housing in OEM condition

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point...... just do it and be done with it. If it fouls plugs after that it is not due to breathing crank case gases.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Dang skippy. Too bad you can't go riding. Got to be what, 30 degrees where you are today?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts