Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Mechanics Corner but I'm not getting any ideas so re-posting here...

After adjusting the valves on my VN900 I have oil coming from the tiny hole that goes from inside the spark plug pipe to the outside of the cylinder head. I have replaced the O-rings at the top and bottom of the plug pipe but still have oil coming out the front (back was doing the same but now is fine). Anyone have some words of wisdom? Manual says to use grease when putting it back together, didn't say what kind. I used wheel bearing grease, is there something "special" i should use? Like I said, back is fine with it. I'm sick of tearing this thing apart and putting it back together, although I've gotten pretty good at it over the last couple weeks.

·
Matt
455 Posts
Hmm, sounds like the front one may have not set securely or something. Unless your new O-rings slipped or got damaged some how it's hard to imagine what else it could be unless it is maybe coming out through the gasket just below the hole. Good Luck.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
You may have cut one of the o-rings upon installation. Check them carefully. When they are intact, you should have no leaks.

BTW I used a transmission assembly lube on my o-rings when I adjusted my valves.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the gas tank off, then pulled the plug wire today. The top of the tube is dry. I shined a flashlight down the tube, looked pretty clean but just a hint of dark stuff around the bottom. Didn't really look like a leak, but who knows when it's under pressure. I'll pull it apart again and try to be more meticulous about seating the tube...

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
Seat the pipe into the head properly, then gently wiggle the cover back and forth onto the seated pipe. Thats what worked for me, no leaks. I used oil as a lube on the O-rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts