Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad and I changed the oil yesterday in my Ninja 250R which has a 1.9L capacity. Did the procedure: warm the engine, loosen filler plug, remove drain plug, remove filter plate and old filter, wait until all oil is drained, reassemble filter plate, replace, replace drain plug, add 1.5L of oil, run engine, check level, add until correct. You get the idea. We didn't use anywhere close to 2 full bottles of oil. Now, with the bike on the centerstand, after a good bit of riding and a good bit of sitting, the sight glass is completely full! No level can be seen. We just drained a healthy amount too, thinking we somehow overfilled it and the level didn't move. What's going on here lol
PS, thanks.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Did you check the sight gauge when it was drained to make sure it was clear? Might be a dirty sight gauge. Did you measure how much you got when you drained the original oil? Did you have it on the center stand and on level ground when you drained it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sight glass was perfectly clean when we drained the oil, on the center stand too. We didn't measure how much came out but we did wait until it was clean no more was gonna come out.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I would drain it and measure what comes out. Put it back in because it is still good clean oil. If you still have a mystery maybe yours actually holds more than stated. Is the the first time you had this happen?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it held more than stated wouldn't it be reading as low? I assume you're talking about the old oil? No, it smelled like used motor oil. In any case, it's fixed now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha sorry. Well like I said my dad and I drained a bit out. I rode it around a bit more, let it cool down..checked it on the centerstand, still super full. I walk to my truck to get something and as I'm coming back I see how grossly uneven the drive way is! Had my brother in law take a peak while I held it as evenly straight up and down as possible, all is well. Dumb mistake on our part huh

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah man. In any case, I can tell a huge difference now. The oil that we drained out was very thin. Glad I decided to change it when I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts