Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if I should use the 90 weight oil Kawasaki recommends on the chain or should I use chain wax to help with flinging? I heard that wax gives a build-up on the chain which can cause its own problems. Thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
oil is gonna FLING OFF and attract way more dirt than chain wax. i use chain wax myself after cleaning it with WD-40 and have never had fling or dirt problems after letting it sit over night to dry.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've tried wax, 90-wt and at least 6 different canned chain lubes including PJ1, PJ1-Blue, Maxima, Bel-Rey and the Hondas (and two more I can't remember right now.)
My experience with the Superhawk made a Honda-hater out of me, but I still like the Honda regular spray lube (not the more expensive "white-graphite" stuff.) As long as you either either wait half an hour before riding, OR spray it on while the chain is warm, it doesn't get messy and fling off like everything else has for me.

I usually change my chains and sprockets out after 20,000 miles, and could easily get more, but they almost always seem to develop mild tight spots in them by then. And it might by psychosomatic, but a new chain seems to make most bikes shift a little smoother. (?)
-CCinC

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
oil is gonna FLING OFF and attract way more dirt than chain wax. i use chain wax myself after cleaning it with WD-40 and have never had fling or dirt problems after letting it sit over night to dry.
I agree and do the same, I use wax and dont have any issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a spray grease, but as I'm quite new to biking myself I'll probably also try a wax once I've used all the oil to see what I prefer.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I use wax, but have 2 friends who use a oil based lube, (neither use the 90wt oil, its waaaay messy). wax lasts longer between cleaning/lubes and makes less mess.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like chain wax less messy. It seems to last as long as the petrolium base lubes.
With the new o-ring chains you lube mostly to keep the chain from rusting, kinking and as a cushion against the sprockets.
I think the most inportant part of lubing the chain now is inspecting the chain evrey week for wear.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I've used chain wax and Honda Chain lube. I prefer to use chain wax. Castrol Chain Wax has been the best chain wax I've ever used so far.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
We have a stainless steel chain on the 550..It was a little more expensive than a regular chain, but seems to do much better..all you do is clean it everynow and then......

Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts