Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used seafoam to clean oil pickup screen? I have a 1985 gpz zx900,what i want to do is drain all oil and put in enough seafoam to cover the oil pickup screen and let it sit over night (not run the engine) then drain seafoam and fill with fresh oil.Think this would work?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Never heard of it being done but don't see what harm it would do. And I'm not sure how much good it would do w/o any flow or rubbing. And you would probably need to run some cheap oil in it afterward and dump that in 50-100 miles. I think it might be better to add a little to your oil and run it about 50 miles then change the oil and filter.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Why not remove the screen if its plugged and clean it, then reinstall, i cannot see the seafoam doing any good myself.

If its got large chunks stuck to it like say a gob of silicone, then manual cleaning is all thats going to help.

If its from old grungy oil, maybe try a high detergent oil for an hour or two hour ride, then drain it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice with this,the pickup screen isnt clogged and i have good oil pressure but the bike has 40k on it so im sure that it needs a cleaning.I guess it was a preventive Maintance question. I dont have a problem pulling the oil pan but the headers have to come off also and they are original so i would probably need new exhaust ,but im alittle short on coin.i may do the seafoam thing as long as i wont cause any other problems,Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts