Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question about the oil separator on the kfx 400. Say if the hose that connects to the valve cover from the oil separator was not connected could that cause the fuel shut-off valve to feed too much fuel to the carb? The reason i ask is a couple of months ago i had too change the main jet and after riding around for a few minutes i noticed a gas leak coming from the float bowl drain. So i pulled the carb the other day to check the float and float needle and they seemed to be fine. When i started to put the oil separator and carb back on i didn't remember disconnecting that hose to the valve cover. Anyway after hooking all the hoses and riding it for around a half an hour or so it was'nt leaking anymore.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
No, it should have no impact on the fuel valve. Usually if the Mukuni carburetor starts drooling fuel it is because the fuel valve was not shut off when parked and there was some dirt or crud under the float valve holding it open.

There are two schools of thought about shutting off the fuel, but if you still have the original OEM float valve it would be a good idea to shut it off when parking it. The tip of the original float needle is not alcohol fuel compatible, and picks up crud that holds it open and allows it to drool fuel.

The good news is that the intake port design does not allow fuel to flow into the engine, the bad news is that it runs all over the garage.

Both Kawasaki and Suzuki sell a float needle kit with the alcohol fuel compatibility issue solved.

By the way, this particular model was built by Suzuki with the engine designed by Yoshimura R&D, and can have the power easily doubled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is the fuel shut off has never been turned off since it was new and it's never leaked like this in almost six years.And the other thing is it was doing this while running and still dripping with the engine shut down,i mean this thing was basically pouring fuel out,but every since i pulled the carb and checked the float it hasn't done it since.I'm not sure what i did to cure it ,but i think just for the heck of it i'll pull the carb to double check the float level,cause i'd sure hate to get out in the middle of nowhere and break down. Again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would simply replace the float valve and seat with a new one from the dealer. The original valve was made before the current nutty federal push to use pump gasoline with ethanol alcohol in the blend (oxygenated fuel).

That alcohol starts breaking down the fuel as soon as the fuel comes in contact with air, like right in your tank! That leads to particles of gum and crud flushing through the system and getting stuck in the float valve.

If you have the Suzuki type vacuum fuel control valve, junk it and get a Pingel manual valve. The OEM vacuum valve is also not compatible with the new fuels and the diaphragm dissolves so it gets stuck in the carburetor float valve, and then they will not shut off, and can start leaking.

Do not go dinking around with the float level unless you know for a fact it is not properly set. To do it you will either need a tool from Mikuni, or will need to build an adapter that allows you to use the clear line liquid level approach to setting the float. Anything else is whizzing in the wind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah all that is stock suzuki. I never would have thought of the vacuum valve diaphragm leaking,looks like i'll be replacing some stuff. I never really liked the idea of having a vacuum operated fuel valve. Thanks a million.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.