Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed oil and filter tonight. I was trying to check the oil in sight glass but it's like fogged inside. I can't see the oil inthe sight glass. Is this a problem or do they all do this?If it stays like this I can't check the oil because I can't even see it. Anyone have or had this problem???

·
Registered
411 Posts
Run the bike until it's warmed-up for 10 or 15 minutes; it should disipate the moisture and the sight glass should be easier to read.

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
I've never seen this before. Could it be moisture? Was it humid or damp when you changed the oil and could any moisture have gotten into the system? I assume you tried cleaning the glass to make sure it isn't condensation on the outside so maybe take a hair dryer and "defrost" the sight glass - see if that helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like if you take a torch to glass? It's not like fog. Never seen it before.
After I changed oil I seen it then took out for about 20 minutes an stayed the same.It almost looks like glass thats aged 30 years in a old car??

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
so it looks like it's burnt then. Hmmm. Can you try draining the oil and removing the glass? Wiping it clean. I think they unscrew, like a bezel ring over top of it. I can check the manual. What bike you have?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's new 2008 vulcan 900 custom. It still has 4or5 months left on the warranty
Maybe I should take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got the bike out from the garage and changed oil. It only had about 1,200 miles form last oil change.

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
yeah, if its that new let them deal with it for sure. Warranty should cover it if it's defective. But on the parts diagram, it does show it coming out Part #52005 - Oil Level Gauge. I mentioned draing the oil so you could save it and reuse it because you will lose oil taking the gauge out. Good luck

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
My sightglass is a little dark, but I can still see the oil, escpecially if the oil is darker than new oil. After I changed it, it's always a little hard to tell what the oil level is because the new oil is so clear. Here's what I do:
- change oil
- sit on bike and level
- use my mirror on telescopic arm to see oil level
- if I can 't see anything, lean bike a litle to left, then right to see if there's a difference in how the sight glass looks. Every time, it's been spot on. The oil was simply clear and looked like there wasn't anything in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info... I think I better take it to the dealer tomorrow. They sold me that high dollar kawasaki 10-50 oil. Let them play with it...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now after looking at it the glass looks white. I can now see the the oil in there but glass looks milky? The oil is fine It has enough oil in it.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
10-50? Usually 10w-40 or 20w-50 is what is recommended for a 900. Did you put in a full 4 qts? If so the oil is above the glass and you will have to tilt it. My dealer use to always put in the full 4 qts and I had to tell him to only fill till the oil is about mid way in the window (you should have about 6-8 ozs or so left over). From what I can tell it does not hurt the bike if a bit over filled (at least according to my dealer).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer told me it took 3.1 QTS I just checked it when it was level and the oil was right on the money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do most people run inthere bikes? When bought and picked up the bike last year the guy inthe service dept said to run this oil. I will tell you one thing it's not cheap it's 8.00 dollars a QT.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts