Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, finally getting around to fixing my bike. I got a new battery and spark plugs. What kind of oil and trans fluid do I buy? Sorry if I sound stupid, but ive never worked ona bike before. And my Haynes isnt here yet. Also, how would I go about putting gas in the tank if I dont have a key to unlock it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You will need motorcycle oil and not car oil first and foremost. The transmission uses the motorcycle oil for lubrication.

As far as the key goes, if you know how to use a lock pick set its easy or locksmith. If the screws are on the outside, then unscrew the gas cap.

PS - if you have the ignition - the key number should be on that and you can take that to the dealer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ah, the classic discussion of car/vs motorcycle oil, it's up to him, there are many statistics and so far, they've all backed up that car oil is okay as long as it's not environmental, i've found that it's really just about how it performs.

As far as the tank goes see how much the dealer would charge to make a new set of keys then compare that to just buying a new/used tank lid w/key included

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Truly depends on the brand. Its not as if they bottle the same stuff and slap on a sticker - one for bikes and the other from cars from the same manufacturer.

The usual differences is in the amount of additives in the motorcycle oil typically will be different then car oils in percentage and type used.

Keep in mind that some oils are better than others.

·
Registered
605 Posts
true, I use mobil-1 full synthetic 10w40, it's a little more than car oil but a lot less than motorcycle specific oil

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had to get my 2 cents in on this one

I believe that car oil and motorcycle oil are the same thing. The only way that you would need special oil is if your bike’s engine and transition were separate like on two strokes or Harleys. It is all about marketing. However there is a difference say between Wal-Mart’s .99 cent special and Honda special “motorcycle oil”. If your were to compare that same Honda oil to Mobil’s best I bet there almost the same. This is just my opinion I have no proof that this is right or wrong. I have been riding for 18 years and have never used “motorcycle engine oil” to this day have never suffered any ill effects from it . :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts