Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, newb here.:)

Just got a 81 GPZ1100 which has been sitting mainly for the last 12 yrs. Has done only 1000kms in those years.
So I'm going to do the plugs, oils, filters etc straight away.
Been looking thru the search threads for oils but kinda getting all kinds of oils offered in them.

What would be the best oil grade, make for the bike, or what do you guys use in your older bikes like the GPZ1100?

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Looking at my old, trusty shop manual for the 81-82 GPz1100's, I see SAE 10W40,10W50,20W40 and 20W50 oil listed. It depends on where you live regarding oil viscosity(thicker oil for higher temps,like in Texas or Arizona).

Now consider that oils have improved a lot over the years since these bike's came out, the Shell Rotella would be a good choice. It has a high Zinc content that the DOHC engines need.

Avoid using any car oils as these contain friction modifiers not compatable with wet plate clutches in the Kawasaki's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It truly amazes me how many people loose sleep over what brand/type of oil to run in their powersports engine. Ask this exact question and you will get 35 different opinions. There is good oils, there is slightly better oils, and there is race bling oils. So which one is the best ? Any of them. What is more important that which oil ? Changing your oil. My only advice is don't run a full synthetic, or a synthetic blend in older air cooled engines simply for the fact you most likely have a 25 year old clutch, and I personally experienced a slipping clutch after a mineral to synthetic swap. I personally prefer Kawasaki 10-40. It's relatively inexpensive, specd' for a wet clutch powersports engines, and I use it in 4 different bikes that I own. Never had any type of lubrication issues. Is my engines going to last longer than someone using Rotella ? Can't answer that question. Is someone's engine using Rotella going to last longer than my engine running Kawi 10-40 ? Can't answer that question either... (just my .02)

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
The oil in an air cooled DOHC engine helps cool that engine as well as lubricate and protect contact surfaces. DOHC engines also turn higher rpms than the status quo of their era requiring ZDDP(zinc)to protect against metal to metal contact under high heat and stress. Diesel truck engines run cooler and are water cooled as are most modern v-twins and fours.Rotella T is formulated with ZDDP for the extreme stroke and torque developed by those engines, yet it does not have the longevity or the heat resistance that the synthetics offer.Oil is not rocket science although understanding what the engineers required for their engines of their era is science.Rotella T is good but needs changed often as it breaks down quickly. Mobil 1 4T racing oil is better although very expensive, it lasts longer because it withstands higher heat for longer periods of time(critical for air cooled engines) and it is formulated for wet clutch primaries.I push my bike to redline often and take extended highway runs too, I want an oil that is formulated for my bike. The problem is they dont make the oil for my bike anymore,so knowing what the engineers designed to be run in your particular engine will help you choose a modern formulated oil for your particular engine and riding needs.For me its Mobil1 4T racing oil @ $10.00 per qt.:eek:PS.I run 10w40 because it cools better than the thicker stuff! :wink:

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Right. I ran Tens on Valvoline All Climate.
All my stuff runs on Rotella, (or Castrol Blue, or Delo 400)
Unless a motorcycle manufacturer PAYS YOU to ride their bike, you don't ride hard enough to need it.

The only thing $10 a quart oil gives you is a placebo effect. So drink it. And change it every 3000. OR when it starts to shift poorly.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
When I was wondering about what oil to use I did some reading on the subject and came away with 3 prefered brands which I put on file so if I could not find one then I had a couple to fall back on. They are CHEVRON DELO 406, MOBIL DELVAC 1300, & SHELL ROTELLA T. So happens that my local wally world has those and the rotella was cheapest at $11 a gallon so that is what I am running at present.

The reading I did confirms what zoro said about changing often with these oils. So about 2000 miles would be the maximum with a more logical number of about 1500 miles. But even at 1000 miles and 11 bucks a gallon it is still cheaper than motorcycle specific oils that gets changed at 3000 mile intervals and cost $10 a quart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.