Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gadget has an excellent article and calculation tool addressing engine RPM, pinging caused by lugging the engine, where torque and horsepower are developed in RPM, and bike speed related to RPM.

Read this page . . .

FAQ's

. . . and then click on the link within that page for the RPM calculator, or go to this page . . .

Kawasaki Vulcan Speed Calculator

. . . and select your bike model. Enter either desired RPM or Speed in either of the two columns, and then click anywhere on the page for the calculation to occur. Remember to enter your speedo error which is typically 8-10%.

With my speedo error at 8% I need to run my gears to the following indicated speeds just to reach 3500 RPM on my Nomad.

1st - 29 MPH
2nd - 45 MPH
3rd - 60 MPH
4th - 75 MPH
5th - 92 MPH

Obviously I won't be hitting 3500 RPM in 5th gear too often. :wink:

I wonder how many of us lug our engines just a little?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You can feed in the gear ratios for the 900 yourself. The primary, final and gear ratio are in your owners manual. If I'm incorrect I know it's in the maintenance manual. Course mine is a little off thanks to the scootworks pulley.

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can feed in the gear ratios for the 900 yourself. The primary, final and gear ratio are in your owners manual. If I'm incorrect I know it's in the maintenance manual. Course mine is a little off thanks to the scootworks pulley.
The service manual for the VN900 B6F/D6F has the following info -

Primary reduction ratio 2.184
Final reduction ratio 2.063

Gear ratios
1st 2.786
2nd 1.889
3rd 1.360
4th 1.107
5th 0.963

1 - 6 of 6 Posts