Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First cars and now for Motorcyclists. :lol: :lol: Check this out.

Hit Air Australia

Hopefully I posted the addy right :roll: @ my computing skillz :lol:

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
funny

Hit Air Australia

It's real too! THAT'S the funny part! Do they give "jump lessons" with it, or do you learn that spin in the air and lad on your back bit automatically??

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just have one question:

What happens if you get off the bike without deactivating it? :eek:
There was a similar thread on the Rebel board I frequent. A member had an MSF instructor that wore one. He was talking and stepped away from the bike, there was a pop, he puffed up like a blow fish and some colorful language emanated from the jackets vicinity. I might have paid for the cartridge just to see that.

Dan

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So basically you have to wear a very bulky suit, that looks like crap, and I bet incumbers movement.
Has little if any road rash protection from the looks of it.
And if you crash needs to wait for an impact to inflate.

If you already get enough impact to inflate it, is it not a tad late?

I will trust my heavy leather 1 piece road race suit thanks anyways.
It allows me to move, and not look like I weight 150 pounds more than I do.
And keeps me safe from the pavement I hit at say 150 kms/hr.
Unlike this thing that allows me to hit with little protection till it inflates, and could likely puncture very easily leaving me once again totally unprotected.

Yikes:shock:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My idea is this.
Strap to the carrier rack of your bike a commercial size roll of bubble wrap.
If you see an impact is imminent, slow down time like say the dude in the Matrix movie.....wrap yourself head to toe in 80 layers of bubble wrap.
Then let the rest of the crash happen.

Way better odds of this happening I would think, than the sumo wrestler suit actually working in the real world.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
"OK Now I think I have seen everything LOL"

But have you seen a man eat his own head ?

Then you haven't seen everything then , have you ?

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Actually here's the American site for similar jacket. More detail and images.
There's a tether to your bike that takes about 25lbs pull to activate inflation. So according to the site as soon as you're thrown from the bike the jacket inflates. Not upon impact but before. They also list different LEO's that are wearing them now. Don't know if good or not. Just something else to ponder as to safety.
Impact Jackets, LLC - Gallery -

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
There's a tether to your bike that takes about 25lbs pull to activate inflation. So according to the site as soon as you're thrown from the bike the jacket inflates. Not upon impact but before. They also list different LEO's that are wearing them now. Don't know if good or not. Just something else to ponder as to safety.
So if you low side and skid near the bike, its not activated.

If a cager pulls out in front of you and you broad side them at 50 MPH, your on the bike, so its not activated.

And the list would go on for ever.

All of it sounds bad to me and my sore body just thinking about it. :shock:

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
So if you low side and skid near the bike, its not activated.

If a cager pulls out in front of you and you braod side them at 50 MPH, your on the bike, so its not activated.

And the list would go on for ever.

All of it sounds bad to me and my sore body just thinking about it. :shock:
Umm Just posted a link to the American Styled one. Did not endorse the product. With all the possiblities of impact or crash etc. I don't think any one product out there is going to save you from all. Are Air Bags on the Goldwing practical??? I don't think so but maybe. Again in your listing they would be useless. Then again for all your listings of possibilities for injury why even take your bike out. You're doomed before you start. LOL
Oh well!!! Can't live forever so I guess I'll just ride and keep reading inovations that might help us survive.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Impact Jackets

This one is very good! The local PD looked into them, but the then chief was a DH! He said the officers would have to buy their own!! That's so stupid. My son is a motor officer there, and they have medically retired 5 officers over the last ten year or less, ALL from back and chest injuries. The chief (now the County Sheriff) also didn't like the "image". Same reason most LEO motor officers wear 3/4 helmets. They aren't as INTIMIDATING!! They SHOULD BE!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So basically you have to wear a very bulky suit, that looks like crap, and I bet incumbers movement.
Has little if any road rash protection from the looks of it.
And if you crash needs to wait for an impact to inflate.
Do you think it's just a balloon on your back? I'm assuming it's like any other textile jacket with a solid backing underneath the inflatible section.

I dunno about you, I'd rather some road rash than a broken back. That's just me though.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Oh goody! Something else for our politicians to mandate!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
CNN interview guy about motorcycle accident

Hit Air Australia

This is not new to me. I saw video on CNN website in October. CNN: USA interviewed a guy who was wearing something similar to the jacket in your link.

In this case, the jacket is attached the motorcycle via a type of key like a boater wearing a life jacket can have the boat's ignition key attaached to life preserve.

As soon as biker is thrown from the bike, the air bags in motorcycle jacket will deploy.

I was looking for the video on CNN but can not find it right now. Sadly, the bike owner, who looked to have destroyed what resembled a yellow ninja, said he was giving up sport bike for a cruiser.:frown:

On a positive note, the biker lived and had a extremelly minor injury, if I remember it correctly.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
I dunno. Minor injury vs. style. Tough choice. LOL then again I've never been known to have any style.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts