Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video link attached. This unlucky fellah seemed to be doing OK, but as you will see, when his front end touched down, he got some serious speed wobbles and subsequently ate it. I've had pretty bad speed wobbles when I have taken my hands off the bars (to stretch or whatever) of a couple of my machines (my '86 FJ1200 comes to mind), but I think it was maybe mostly operator error, due to my being in the wrong gear. Let the education/ armchair quarterbacking begin!

Wheelie Showoff Goes Bad Video

L

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
He lost "control" before the front came down.
When he hit the rumble strip on the right side of the white line, it sealed his fate... he put the front wheel down turned toward the road to try to keep it out of the grass, but had it turned too far, overreacted to the leftward jerk and went into a death wobble.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
He lost "control" before the front came down.
When he hit the rumble strip on the right side of the white line, it sealed his fate... he put the front wheel down turned toward the road to try to keep it out of the grass, but had it turned too far, overreacted to the leftward jerk and went into a death wobble.
Rich, Rich, Rich...I'm so disappointed in you! You were suppose to say, "He was trying to show off...and unfortunately he suffered the consequences". I can't believe that you actually analyzed the video!

Ihonda: I'm going to have to disagree with you when you labeled the guy as being "unlucky". He shouldn't be trying to wheelie on the highway. Find a nice, huge, empty parking lot. This is one of those situations that reminds me of a Chris Rock routine..."...I'm not saying that he deserved to crash--but I sure do understand it...".

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Pretty sure he's glad he had a FF helmet, looks like his face touched down too. Bet it won't stop him from doing it again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ihonda: I'm going to have to disagree with you when you labeled the guy as being "unlucky". He shouldn't be trying to wheelie on the highway. Find a nice, huge, empty parking lot. This is one of those situations that reminds me of a Chris Rock routine..."...I'm not saying that he deserved to crash--but I sure do understand it...".
I agree wholeheartedly, and it was a poor choice in adjectives I penned. Clearly, the guy paid the piper for hotdogging. That said, cut me a bit of slack. I wasn't promoting that donkey's actions, and didn't fall off of the turnip truck last week, either... ;)

L

·
Registered
147 Posts
Having personally gone through a crash, I don't wish it on anyone. But I do hope it is a wake up call for that guy and also his friends. This is why when I tell people I have a Ninja they look at me like I'm an outlaw/hooligan.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Having personally gone through a crash, I don't wish it on anyone. But I do hope it is a wake up call for that guy and also his friends. This is why when I tell people I have a Ninja they look at me like I'm an outlaw/hooligan.
yeah and why insurance for them is skyrocketing... I'd consider buying one but I'd have to sell a kidney to pay the premiums.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly, and it was a poor choice in adjectives I penned. Clearly, the guy paid the piper for hotdogging. That said, cut me a bit of slack. I wasn't promoting that donkey's actions, and didn't fall off of the turnip truck last week, either... ;)

L
I'm sorry, I kinda did sound like I was on a soapbox, didn't I? I wasn't trying to rag on you--I was trying to make fun of the very unfortunate situation that the guy put himself in. I could tell that you didn't really think he was "unlucky"--you were just trying to cut him some slack, right? ;)

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I dunno, mine's about $450 a year full coverage.
Full coverage on a zx-10r would cost me 2,224 dollars a year... If it were a zx-6r it would still be 950 a year. The high performance sport bikes cost a fortune to insure in my area.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Video link attached. This unlucky fellah seemed to be doing OK, but as you will see, when his front end touched down, he got some serious speed wobbles and subsequently ate it. I've had pretty bad speed wobbles when I have taken my hands off the bars (to stretch or whatever) of a couple of my machines (my '86 FJ1200 comes to mind), but I think it was maybe mostly operator error, due to my being in the wrong gear. Let the education/ armchair quarterbacking begin!

Wheelie Showoff Goes Bad*Video

L
I'd say the problem started with what's in the title...."Showoff"

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
smacktard and asshatery should definitly be added into the next dictionary revision!:lol:
Hey if they added bling, why the hell not! :lol:

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
His problem was over correcting. If I go into a speed wobble, I just take it to a knee, and force the bike to correct by using it's weight and momentum against it.

((Please note, I do not recommend this maneuver to anyone whom doesn't have enough experience and a spare bike to try new techniques on. It took me four wrecks and two bikes to find the sweet spot.))

Now, if anyone is really curious as to what I mean, here's a breakdown.

If I go into a speed wobble, for whatever reason, I wait until the bike is trying to go to the side I want, and move WITH it, forcing it down like I'm going into a hard turn. What that does is uses the weight and inertia of the bike to force it to go into a certain movement pattern. Once the bike starts turning, I bring it up quickly, and continue what I was doing.

Now, as for the guy in the video, I just laughed. Nobody should be doing wheelies in the rumble strip.....well, unless they want to make me laugh.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Too Funny! I can't believe he didn't get hit by that oncoming car. I'm sure i'll get flamed for this but..... He got what was coming to him! Not only was he stunting on a busy highway, he was doing it side by side with another bike.
I'd bet he'll prob do it again as soon as his stitches heal. Guys like that don't ever learn till someone dies and even then they look to blame someone else.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That idiot needs to learn to wheelie, seriously I can wheelie a motocross bike whilst hitting bumps and not lose control (now that is :oops:), how much harder can it be on a streetbike on tarmac??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts