Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be many new & near new Vulcans out there. Are there any older ones then mine? like early 90s when they were called "88". My '97 has those two great big chrome air cleaners some people call "elephant ears" and it would never be confused with a classic model.
:lol:
When did Kawasaki first make the 1500 cruiser? I've looked around the net but can't find it.

Bob917

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

bob,you may have the oldest vulcan of the regulars here :wink:
don't hold me to it but i think the 1500 vulcan has been around since 1987,i've never seen anything older.
and the 750 vulcan i think is 1985-that's the oldest i've seen also

the vulcan series has been good to kawasaki and good to the riders too :D
and now look at it - 2000cc's :shock: i don't think it'll ever go away :lol:

pic of my purple classic
http://mrtransamws6.50megs.com/Cycle 2.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bob, Kawasaki made the "88" style from 1987 to 1999. I just resently sold my 99 BUBF and bought the new V2000. I enjoyed my 99, it was a great bike, but this 2000 is incredible. :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I still ride my BUBF. And it still kicks okole (@$$)... lol. Anyhow, mines is a 95 and still looks brand new. Hard Krome Drag pipes, Dyna Jets, Legend Bars, Cobra Billet Risers, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Kuryakyn Magnum Mirrors, Mustang Fastback Seat, Saddlemen Desperado Hardmount Bags, F&S engine guard, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, F&S Wind Screen, Avon Road Rangers, Progressive 412's 11" (dropped 2") etc... Old School but still a head turner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OLD? 1500 VULCAN 88

I GOT MY '96 VULCAN 88 LAST SUMMER FROM THIS OLD GOLDWING DUDE...THOUGHT HE WANTED A CRUISER BUT COULDN'T HANDLE THE POSITION AFTER SO MANY YEARS ON GOLDWINGS :D ...I MEAN THIS DUDE WAS AT LEAST PUSHING 70...ANYWAY I GOT A KILLER DEAL ON IT...I FOUND OUT LATER THAT THE NEEDLES WERE WORN OUT AND KEPT FILLING MY REAR CYL. WITH FUEL...BUT IN THE SHOP NOW FOR REPAIRS...I LOVE MY 88..MY LAST BIKE WAS AN OLD '86 SHADOW 1100 W/ 189,000+ MILES ON IT(I DIDN'T PUT THEM ALL ON IT)IT HAD BEEN TO STURGIS 6 X AND DAYTONA 6 X...SHE HAD BEEN ROAD HARD -N- PUT AWAY WET....BUT WAS A GREAT FIRST TIME LARGE CRUISER FOR ME...I PUT ANOTHER 10-12 K'S ON IT THEN SOLD IT TO A GUY WHO WANTED HIS FIRST BIG STREET CRUISER..USED THE MONEY TO HELP BUY MY 88... 8) .

·
Registered
11 Posts
1987 VN1500......????

I am about to buy my first cruiser, Ive had two different enduro's and also have a YZ-250.

Right now I have the option to buy a 1987 VN1500 that has a custom paint job 22k miles, jet kit , KN filter, down once scratches on blinker only...... or a 2002 EL500 with 2000 miles on it brand new bla bla bla. I really like the idea of a 1500 over the tiny 500, but I really don't want to buy a bike that is a prone to break and has a lack of spare parts. It will be for me and my girl friend so I hessitate to buy the 500. The guy has owed the 1500 for eight years and says its a great bike, and couldn't ask for more. I have looked at a lot of starter bike from the mid 80's (shadows, vulcans, Virago, Intruders) and this one takes the cake. What would you do??

http://www.auto-rv.com/default.asp?area=browsedetail&adname=CI2170401

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, might as well make this my intro post. Seems as good a place as any.

*waves*

Just bought a '97 1500 88 as my first bike. It currently has 3k original miles on it, though it hasn't been ridden in over 3 years. Needless to say, it needs a little work and LOT of elbow grease to get it cleaned up. Actually took it down to the gas station for the first time over the weekend to fill 'er up.

Anyways, be prepared for lots of tech questions, since I'm a newb to bikes. So, first question: What's "BUBF" stand for?

·
Registered
36 Posts
:D

Good evening Jinx....

The VN1500 or 88 is not exactly a "starter bike" BUT if you pay attention and respect the machine you can get along quite well, based on your experience.

However your phrase ""I really like the idea of a 1500 over the tiny 500, but I really don't want to buy a bike that is a prone to break and has a lack of spare parts."" Does NOT apply to this bike.! I have ridden close to 80,000 miles all across the USA and Canada on my 1995 1500A9 and I'm ready for another 80k tomorrow with this very same machine. Other than clutch springs and some minor electrical periodically, I have NEVER had a single problem ( other than running out of gas in Alberta ) that left me walking !

Do you do your own mech and diagnostic work ?? Do you have a shop manual ? and.... do you have a lift ? If not, do it, and get them.!

regards.....

Ernie in NH :wink:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Jinx-

You should have started a new topic- you hijacked the thread! :wink:

Almost new 500 or well broken in 1500?

The 500 being newer and having less miles will most likely require the lesser amount of maintenence in the short term, but either will need some work sooner or later. The 500 is a lighter nimbler bike and fun to drive around town, but will have some trouble keeping up on the interstate. You have a 250 so this should be nothing new.

The 1500 on the other hand will be eye turner and will have power to spare at highway speeds. You said you've had motorcycle experience: get the bike you want. If you get the 500 you'll want the 1500 six months from now. I bought a 440 as a starter bike and it took me ten years to get my ish together and get the bike I've always wanted.

Phatboy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry about hyjacking the thread I searched and searched and decided this was the spot to talk about my early Vulcan.........

Well I have the 1987 Vulcan 88 in my garage as we speek. I was completely thrilled driving it home! I will have pictures soon, although it does have a few things to take care of.

Its the 34th Vulcan 88 ever made.....its got a custome teal and white paint job and has been down once on the right side. Its got some scratches about 2" wide and 3" long on the front fenders nose, the Tank has a dent from the turn signal and the exhaust has about 5 very minor scratches all in one patch.

The engine has 22K on it and recieved a K&N filter kit with new jets.... the thing romps good, lots of power to spare and is pretty much stock. The tank Im contenplating fixing myself by drilling a hole and pulling the dent and then welding the hole shut, then repainting it. There is also a very minor leak up high underneith the tank from stress I think.....its under the right cup that wraps around a rubber bumper.

Like I said the 34th ever made....vinxxxxxxx00000034A

pictures soon..........

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hey Jinx...!!!

Way to go !! Congratulations... we'll all be looking pictures and info on both how you and the bike are doing.

best regards.....

Ernie in NH

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
nice looking scooter, there is an "older" gentleman running around my neck of the woods with an older vn800 with almost the same paint scheme. I think he said his 800 was a '99?

·
Registered
36 Posts
:(

Hey Jinx.....

I cant open your pictures of the "new" bike... Do you have a Home Page to post them on ??

best regards....

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
36 Posts

Good morning all you 1500 "Old Bike" guys..!

I meant to mention in one of the earlier posts, that there is a lot of resource info on the Kawa 1500 (A/B/C) series... and one of the very best is:

<<< http://www.gis.net/~manjo/faq.htm >>>

I dont know who put all that info together, but if we find out we should all sport him to at least a case of brew !! I have found it very very helpful and informative. Hope you do as well.

best regards...

Ernie in NH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts