Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

BainbridgeIslandWashington. Presenting my 1990 KLR 250. This little piggy is an unmolested survivor, about 7,000 miles. I've only ridden around town, about 500 miles this summer since acquiring it. Hoping to detail and add just a few farkles this winter. Any other KLR 250 owners here?
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
k

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
In 1982 I was 18 years old in the 101st Airborne serving as a recon platoon scout. The Army decided to experiment with motorcycles in order to increase range and speed on the battlefield. I remember the bikes, they were KLR 250s with a fresh coat of olive drab and black paint. Specially modified UH-60 Blackhawks with outrigger carrying points were also supplied. Unfortunately for me orders for Alaska came in before field trials started. :( Bummer. In the end the moto recon was not adopted by the Army, why I never learned.

·
Administrator
4,904 Posts
I guess that means you never got to see the Kawasaki KLR650's that the military modified to run on diesel fuel.
Reportedly they got 100 mpg and had a range of 600 miles. I get 60 MPG on my stock KLR650.

Listen to this one clatter away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts