Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went from a softtail custom to the 900 custom. Long story short, the bike and the boat had to leave in the divorce. So with my new and wonderfull limited funds, I went for the Kaw 900 custom because it had the same "look" and was affordable. I will have to say, I like it just as much. So I have slowly transformed it back to my style from the older days. Well, except for the blue led's I have mounted around the motor. :) Here she is, fringe and all.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
New softail

So I went from a softtail custom to the 900 custom. Long story short, the bike and the boat had to leave in the divorce. So with my new and wonderfull limited funds, I went for the Kaw 900 custom because it had the same "look" and was affordable. I will have to say, I like it just as much. So I have slowly transformed it back to my style from the older days. Well, except for the blue led's I have mounted around the motor. :) Here she is, fringe and all.

That is a very good looking bike to me. I have been thinking I want a softail. Do you really like this one about as much as the softail? I ride a 900 LT and I just can't think of a good enough reason to change. I like almost everything about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, honestly I do. Now the guys on the Harley forum would never believe me I know. :) I did have to get over the "name" syndrome, but it does handle better, does not wiegh as much, feels more "nimble". Plus I have always liked Kawi's. I do miss the sound, and the 900 gets blown around more, but it is close. I DONT miss the payments!! As for the arguments from the harley riders as to all the plastic, well, it aint gonna rust either. Now dont get me wrong, I will get another softail someday, but this little bike may just stay in the stable too.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Yes, honestly I do. Now the guys on the Harley forum would never believe me I know. :) I did have to get over the "name" syndrome, but it does handle better, does not wiegh as much, feels more "nimble". Plus I have always liked Kawi's. I do miss the sound, and the 900 gets blown around more, but it is close. I DONT miss the payments!! As for the arguments from the harley riders as to all the plastic, well, it aint gonna rust either. Now dont get me wrong, I will get another softail someday, but this little bike may just stay in the stable too.
As far as sound, there are lots of options for exhaust on the 900...

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
Taking from your post you like the old school. But i just recently put on these black roadburners double eagles that IMO are great! Ive posted the link to them before and it will definitely give you the sound your looking for?

New Road Burner DG Black Exhaust Kawasaki Vulcan VN 900:eBay Motors (item 250547117534 end time Dec-18-09 17:17:59 PST)

I've had them on for a couple of weeks now and are VERY happy with the look and sound. They are regularly 819 bucks but here only 348 with 30 to ship. Again the sound is night and day from the OEM's. The black with crome rings really stands out. Again if its all crome for you you might try these roadburners.

New Road Burner DG Exhaust Kawasaki Vulcan VN 900 06-09:eBay Motors (item 300375525099 end time Jan-06-10 12:39:33 PST)

But again the roadburners have really worked for me with alot less cost then I expected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have heard some of those. But you still just dont get that good ol harley sound. But on the other hand, I have been averaging 49 mpg on the 900. The softy could only dream of that.

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
I agree, but Im like you I can't afford a harley of the type I would like to have. FatBoy Lo in Black Denim.... If i could grunt like Tim the Tool Man in type i would...LOL So this vulcan 900 custom is the closest the budget will allow for and the maintenance and parts are VERY reasonable and everywhere. Would love a fat tire kit, but daddy will have to wait till its paid for is what momma tells me...LOL Since the new pipes were put on the head turns and look have increased dramatically. :p

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
congrats on the new bike. You'll love it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's not new. I have had it a few months and put over 3000 miles on her already. I do love it. There are a couple of things I hate about it though. :) The air cleaner cover, yuck, thats going next, and I dont like the fit of the speedo cover on the tank. They could have done something there for a better fit. But a tank bib will fill in the gap I am sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts