Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being somewhat of a nerd, I have the typical "must know about new stuff YESTERDAY" mindset that is common to our species. :D
However, unlike most techno-nerds, I have a deep dislike for the consumistic tendency of swapping stuff I own as soon as better stuff is available, even if I can afford it.
These two attitudes often conflict. One side of me says "the new $insert_item_here is more efficient and has more features", while the other side says "what you already have fits your needs already, stop looking for alternatives!". Masked under the second side's rationality is a good amount of sentimental foolishness - I tend to grow very attached to objects I like.

The second side usually wins; for example, my mp3 player is an obsolete unit that I've personally modified with flash storage, my PDA is a positively ancient black-and-white one, my main work computer is a six-year-old laptop that's seen better days... et cetera.

On occasion, however, the "buy buy BUY" side wins, and I end up getting the new cool thing I've been drooling after. It almost never happens, however, that I sell the old one. This has caused my home to be increasingly filled with old hardware and techno-stuff that I may or may not use, but to which I've grown too attached to throw out.

Now, I'm absolutely in love with my bike (ER-6F), but I'm quite conscious that there are better bikes out there. So I occasionally think of what I'd get if I won the lottery or something - but in all such daydreams, my trusty ER-6F is still there in the garage alongside the new, shiny hotness.

Thinking about it, I don't see myself ever selling it. With my mindset (and assuming I manage not to destroy it), I'll only get something else when I can afford to get the new one AND keep the old one - otherwise I won't buy anything else at all. And yes, I know the old bike will eventually get old and creaky and expensive to maintain; if it gets to that I'll get something else, but I'll still keep the old one (uninsured and unfueled) waiting for the moment when I'll be able to afford to repair it.

I just couldn't accept the idea of getting rid of something that's given me so much joy and happiness, even though I'm fully aware it's basically a bunch of shaped metal and plastic parts and does not, in fact, have a soul.

Do you guys get hopelessly attached to your bikes too? :)

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
My 900? No. I was in love with riding...not the bike (though I did like the bike...just didn't love it).

My ZX-14? Absolutely in love with her.

But nothing compares to my 68 Olds Cutlass. When you put so much time, effort, money, blood, sweat (LOTS of sweat), and tears into something...and when you share that experience with someone close (my father)...its impossible to get rid of. That car will be the last possession I ever own.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I rarely let things go myself, I end up misplacing what ever it isI did let a couple bikes go to someone on here that helped me out awhile back. one of the bikes was painted and the seat was redone by my brother, so they ment something to me but they were just going to waste. hated that more than seeing someone get some use from them.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
In my case, if I end up with a place that has a garage before I decide to move up from the Nighthawk, I'll keep her. Otherwise, I have no place to put her.

It would be fun to replace the back rest with the optional grab bar, remove the windshield (which I put on) and take her back to her sport bike roots for those day off runs through the back roads. That is, of course, assuming I replaced her with something that has luggage for the daily ride to work and long trips.

I'm assuming my sister has no interest in selling her KZ200, which has a sweet custom paint job.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've had that "I will have this forever" feeling with all three bikes that I've owned. ~ That's three bikes in three years (lol) !!!

I absolutely love my 09' ZX-6R and I have no desire to replace it. Not to sound like a snob, but money is not an issue to me because motorcycling is my passion. At this point in time, my Ninja is the perfect bike for me. I'm always checking out other bikes (just to see what's out there), and even though I'm not looking to replace my Ninja, I would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Somewhat- I wish I still had the '52 Chev, the '56 Ford Victoria, the '65 SuperSport Impala, but have no place to store much at all (wife takes up a LOT of the available space with her STUFF; don't call if CRAP if you ever want to get any more lovin' at all) Wish I still had some boats and bikes I've sold, but I'm happy with my Nomad 1500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.