Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I have pulled and cleaned the carburetors, rebuilt the fuel tap, and added new fuel/vacuum lines. Finally, it's running, and I can ride it. Every time I get one thing finished, the next problem down the line rears it's head. So, here is the new one.

I rode it around the block a few times with no problems. Seems to be running fine. I came home and shut it off to see if it would start right back up, and it made a weird noise when trying to start. Almost like it hardly wants to turn over and then a metallic striking sound. The next time I push the starter it may crank right up, or do the dragging thing again. I'd appreciate any insight. Hopefully, not a big fix.

Excited just to have it running!
Thanks.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
My guess and it's a guess would be bushings in the starter. They may be worn or dry or both. Another possibility could be the starter is somehow misaligned. Glad to know you can ride now. I know the joy I feel when repairs work out. Others here know much more than I . So have a little patience and listen to their advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know how I would check for that issue, or what to look for? I know where the starter is, but the noise sounded more forward. I'll try to check out any possibilities people throw my way, though. Thanks.

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
Ditto...check the starter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would I check it? What would I be looking for? Thanks, again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
How to check your starter circuit.

This process assumes that you have a fully charged battery.

When you turn the key to the on position and disengage the clutch and then depress the start / kill button do you hear the starter solenoid click? It should be a strong click. If you do not hear a click then you need to check the leads from the start button to the starter solenoid, (magnetic switch).

Starter solenoids have four wires, two small black wires and two rather large wires. The two smaller wires go to the start/kill switch. They activate the starter solenoid. One of the large wires comes from the positive side of the battery and the other goes to the starter.

Disconnect the two small wires at the connector. Use your volt meter or a test light connected to the two wires coming from the start / kill switch to determine that you have 12 volts going to the starter solenoid.

Once you establish that you have continuity from the start kill switch to the solenoid and it does not work then you will have to replace the starter solenoid, (magnetic switch).

You can bypass the solenoid by using a heavy piece of wire and jumping across the two large leads. If the starter turns over then you need to check the two smaller wires for continuity to the start/kill switch. If the starter does not turn over then check the connection on the starter and try again. If it fails again then you will probably need a starter. I was able to get mine rebuilt for $100.00. A new one was $340.00.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The motor does turn over, however, and will fire right up. It was just that one time after I had ridden for a while, and then tried to start it again right after turning it off, that it had the issue. I have started cold several times since then, with no problem and no noise from the engine. I guess I will just have to play it by ear, and wait for it to happen again, so I can try to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. I appreciate all of the advice on this forum.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Just as a precaution I'd get the battery load tested. A weak battery will cause the starter to make strange noises as it turns over some times.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Something else to ponder.

I have a 1982 Kawasaki KZ1100. I started having trouble starting the engine. It seemed like the starter was really working hard but not turning the engine over very fast. Finally it would not start the engine. I took the starter off of the bike and hooked it up to a battery on the workbench. It took off like gangbusters. I put it back in the bike but it would not start the engine. Then I read in the manual, “The 1981 models have 2 brushes and 1982-on models have 4 brushes.” I took the starter to an alternator, generator, and starter repair shop. The technician said one set of brushes was not working. I was trying to start my engine with half of a starter. He rebuilt the starter and now it takes off like a banshee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I will check mine that way. Appreciate all of the input.

·
Eliminating all others
917 Posts
the starters on those have a gear plate behind the stator, ~starter clutch assy~ I had to replace mine I got the parts from oldkawman when I dont him what the bike was doing he knew right away what it was, sold me no-more than I needed and was quite good about it.
oldkawman site

·
Registered
915 Posts
Also check the starter one way clutch thats what screwed up in my 81 KZ1100.
My starter turns fine but isnt engaging the engine, so I've pushed started it and it makes a "marbles in gears" sound :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts