Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got aftermarket slip-ons for my ex500 and have noticed that one muffler gets noticeably hotter than the other. The bike, aside from exhaust, is stock '04 with 4500 miles and runs great. Does anyone know why one muffler would get hotter? I'm assuming this means one cylinder is hotter.....which doesn't seem good to me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
axledeep said:
I've got aftermarket slip-ons for my ex500 and have noticed that one muffler gets noticeably hotter than the other. The bike, aside from exhaust, is stock '04 with 4500 miles and runs great. Does anyone know why one muffler would get hotter? I'm assuming this means one cylinder is hotter.....which doesn't seem good to me.
On the side that is hotter make sure you don't have an air leak and the pipe is on tight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I figured the hotter side meant it was running leaner. However, adding a jet kit wouldn't solve the problem of one side running hotter/leaner.

I had actually checked for leaks earlier that day at all is tight and leak free.

Neither can gets HOT HOT, in that even after a long highway run, I can still touch the cans. The one can would be cool enough to still hold (barely), while the other would be just a bit too warm to hold onto. I can only imagine the bike has been like this since new. I don't see how slip-ons could've changed one cylinder over the other, but maybe it did?

Can someone else with an ex500 check theirs for me? After a ride, can you see if the right (passenger side) can is warmer than the other? I fully expect that both cans should be the same temp, but I'll start with the easy things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts