Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a bike maybe 5 weeks ago. It was fairly new (2003), with few miles (6500), and hadn't been riden in 2 years (or registered). SO first things first it had $300 in deliquent registration fees. Next the bike decided it wouldnt start anymroe. So I had the carbs clean. Now I am suffering with two problems, one due to my own...actually they are both due to arrogance. I shouldn't have purchased a bike that wasn't running.

To the point...My bike is stalling, almost like it breaths. It gets random burst of energy and will idle around 3000 then itll calm down and idle at 500 to a slow stall. I will ride 20 miles on the freeway and when I get off at the light itll stall immediately. Its frustrating. Any advice? Also I guess I put my key in too hard and now its jamed so I tihnk I need to have the ignition repaired (I tihnk thats what its called.)

For those of you who follwed my last forum about break the news about getting a bike to my parents... I'm doing it tonight. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 05 Z750s acted the same way. I bought it after sitting a long time. The filter inside the gas tank, on top of the fuel pump, was clogged with...crap. Cleaned it out and added some Seafoam to a full tank of 92 octane=======runs like new

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me more about the SEAFOAM... maybe i need that I was told I had bad gas at the mechanic but left it untouched

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you tell me more about the SEAFOAM... maybe i need that I was told I had bad gas at the mechanic but left it untouched
I was told same thing. I drained tank/took apart fuel pump/cleaned filter/added $3 inline filter so that it would not happen again/fresh super unleaded/seafoam=== runing nice.:mrgreen:

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Just cause your carbs were cleaned doesnt mean they were done correctly, dont discount its still a fuel delivery issue.

....also often overlooked, the air filter. It can literally choke your bike to death....check it out and replaced as necessary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks i hadnt thought to check the air filter yet and that is obviously one of the easy ones

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt the previous owner did but that responsibility was passed onto me.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
OK, to add to my prior post - you need to get rid of that stale gas. First thing. Then you need to clean the carbs yourself, so you know they're clean. And clean the air filter. And adjust the valves, since your symptoms could also be indicative of tight valves, although they could be fine (never hurts to check).

Worst case scenarion if you can't fix it or find a shop you can trust - throw it on a truck and drive stright up the 5 freeway and elave it in my shop for a couple days. That'll git'r'done!

·
I ride what I like
389 Posts
O ya, you probably dont know this yet.

The air filter is just a piece of foam. Just wash it with warm soapy water. They spray it with air filter oil spray like K&N oil spray. I tried the foam filter liquid in a can and its really thick I didnt like it.

Any parts store will have a K&N "charger" kit for $10. Comes with a cleaner and oil.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
I didnt the previous owner did but that responsibility was passed onto me.

that must be a california thing..... In every state i've ever registered a vehicle in.... the new owner has NO responsibility for any registration lapses of the previous owner...

yet another reason not to live in cali...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
that must be a california thing..... In every state i've ever registered a vehicle in.... the new owner has NO responsibility for any registration lapses of the previous owner...

yet another reason not to live in cali...
Texas does the same thing...sold my 2007 250 and filed all the papers withthe state...about a year later, this guy calls me...he bought the bike from the person I sold it to, asks me to fill out an statement that i sold the bike to him to save him back reg fees... like I am going to make an official statement of a lie...i work for the govt, i can see my job going bye bye...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had about the same prob. what happened to me is the fuel line was pinched so it idled fine but when it higher rpms it stalled out. as far as adjusting your valves its really easy if you know what your doin, and i ephisize if you know what your doin, and its gonna take some specialty tools. havent adjusted valve clearances on a bike yet but i have on a 12 cylinder diesel. if you dont know what your doin itll be confusing, but you could probly read up on it. have fun

·
I ride what I like
389 Posts
Make sure to keep your eye on the oil level. Since it sat for two years the rings may need to re-seat themselves. It might burn some oil for awhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts