Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Online help , derision , insults , and outright laughing at you is available any time I'm actually at a keyboard . That's why my IM accounts are exposed . The only request is that if it is of a unique and useful nature and that after having your ego bruised and your sensibilities offended beyond all sane expectations please post a synopsis of the problem , diagnosis and repair to the forum . I'd do it for you but I feel I've already done my bit by making you feel small , ignorant , inept and oh by the way helping fix the problem .

..laughing with you , not at you

~kop

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm confussed!!!!

I bought a 1983 GPz 1100 that needed some work .Mostly just some basic reassembly my problem is the plug wires .It has accel coils on it and I have no clue what wire goes to what plug.I know the firing order is 1,2,4,3 or at least that's what the Clymer's manual says.Plus does anybody know were a real Kawasaki manual could be had for this bike I've looked all over with no luck.
HELP!!!!

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I bought a 1983 GPz 1100 that needed some work .Mostly just some basic reassembly my problem is the plug wires .It has accel coils on it and I have no clue what wire goes to what plug.I know the firing order is 1,2,4,3 or at least that's what the Clymer's manual says.Plus does anybody know were a real Kawasaki manual could be had for this bike I've looked all over with no luck.
HELP!!!!
Take a look. 1 and 4 on the same coil. 2 and 3 on the other. From there you can figure out which goes to which.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Online help , derision , insults , and outright laughing at you is available any time I'm actually at a keyboard . That's why my IM accounts are exposed . The only request is that if it is of a unique and useful nature and that after having your ego bruised and your sensibilities offended beyond all sane expectations please post a synopsis of the problem , diagnosis and repair to the forum . I'd do it for you but I feel I've already done my bit by making you feel small , ignorant , inept and oh by the way helping fix the problem .

~kop
Was that an apology? Did ya anger the Mod Gods:confused: "I still love ya man"....:lol:

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zorro , no , actually I just remind the newbs from time to time that I don't mind being interrupted when I'm at the keyboard . Seeing as I stop by at all hours and odd times it's possible I can be reached in real time rather than have to wait days for an answer . I can be a bit acerbic , caustic , insulting and helpful all at the same time . The real message here is I have over 30 years experience with motorcycles that I can't take with me when I leave so wtf else am I going to do with it ?

~kop

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always a thanks to the seemingly bottomless reservoir reference material on this site . Mike I can't count the number of times I've had to find such as your resources list , electrical troubleshooting or carb cleaning guide for a newb that was polite enough if not motivated enough to search it out for themselves . Mike you not only understand but live it .

I've been asked many times why I'm here ,from within and outside the forum . Ive been accused of motivation spanning "angry old hermit" to "the unrestrained ego of a has been that never was " . Few get it right .

~kop

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
following me around again ? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now I'm really confussed

The manual says the 1/4 coil is the one on the left but to look at the diagram it's the on on the right .I think I'll just turn the motor and see what order they spark in (with the plugs out & grounded) .Could the 1100 be different than a 750? Seems silly .
Thanks

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
On my 82 GPz1100 B2, the left ignition coil fires sparkplugs # 1 and # 4. The primary (small gauge wires) are BLACK and RED. On the right ignition coil, it fires sparkplugs # 2 and # 3 with the primary wires being RED and GREEN.

I understand that the 650's and possibly some 750's may have it backwards to what I've got, so use this as a reference, not hard fact.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Put on the spark plug wires, one coil to 1&4 the other to 2&3.
If she wont start, swap the black and green primary wires.
If she still wont start, you've got other problems.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The RED wires get their voltage/current from the right handlebar switch pod(on some bikes, the wires are RED with YELLOW stripes going into the run/stop switch). I'd check inside the headlight housing too, as many electrical connection are there and may have either loose terminals or corrosion.

The BLACK and GREEN wires from the ignition coils go to the IC Igniter(it actually gives the coils their ground so they fire the sparkplugs.

Try this first before tearing into the wiring:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from Z1 Enterprises, Inc. - Specializing in Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Parts It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

And the very popular Loudhvx's (from KZrider.com - Home) replacement IC Igniter using off the shelf GM modules:

General Motors HEI Ignition Module For GPZ550

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Zorro , no , actually I just remind the newbs from time to time that I don't mind being interrupted when I'm at the keyboard . Seeing as I stop by at all hours and odd times it's possible I can be reached in real time rather than have to wait days for an answer . I can be a bit acerbic , caustic , insulting and helpful all at the same time . The real message here is I have over 30 years experience with motorcycles that I can't take with me when I leave so wtf else am I going to do with it ?

~kop
Right On Bro!

·
Registered
407 Posts

~kop
It's a good thing to just let us all know how you really feel...Yelling at stupid people on the internet is like finally being able to take that huge crap that's been nagging you for the past hour... total relief..
:mrgreen:

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
The manual says the 1/4 coil is the one on the left but to look at the diagram it's the on on the right .I think I'll just turn the motor and see what order they spark in (with the plugs out & grounded) .Could the 1100 be different than a 750? Seems silly .
Thanks
The pic I posted was for the 1100 but I would think they would be the same as the 750. The diagram is correct in regards to mine even though I was thinking the left side fired the 1 and 4. But pulling up an old pic of mine shows the layout is as that diagram.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Guy's

Thank's For All Your Help With This It's Just The Book Says One Thing And The Pics I've Seen Show Another .But Not To Worry I'll Just Go Through And Test The Wires .I Figure I'll Go Through The Whole Wiring Harness While I've Got The Thing In Pieces .I Do Have Another Completely Different Question .
I'm Going To Paint All The Body Work And Do Custom Graphics As Well As Going For The Street Fighter Look .My Question Is Has Any Of You Used A Tank Sealer Before And Do You Have One (brand) You Recommend . I'd Like To Only Have To Do This Once And I've Heard Some Horror Stories About The Sealer Pealing Off And Clogging Up The Whole Fuel System. The Tank Does Have Some Visible Surface Rust But Nothing Flaking Off.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts